Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... have 2004 Passat GLX, that is V6 2.8L ATQ motor with Tiptronix transmission.

I am trying to locate the engine grounding strap connecting the engine to the car body.
Where do they install it on these cars?

I have no starting issue with starter motor not turning and no ground on the motor.

Thanks,
Pszemol

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
There is a ground wire going from the passengers side motor mount to the body. Wire is about #4 gauge and is about 6-8 inches long.
This is all located right behind the alternator.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Here it is on the motor. The black wire going around the rubber protector of the motor mount.

In the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it. Thank you guys!

My Passat was not starting - no action after turning the key in the ignition. Starter did not make a move.
My connection between the motor and the chassis was reading 115 ohms on the digital multimeter.
After fixing easily accessible side of the connection on the motor mount it was still reading 75ohms.
And the starter still did not work. Had to redo the connection up there, behind the alternator...
Now the connection reads 0 ohms and the Passat starts like a charm...

But I would like to know what is the best way to access the top bolt without disassembling the whole car?

BTW - the connections were corroded. When I undo the nut lots of white powder fall down on me.
It seems the metal of the ground wire is finished of (tin plating of copper?) is not compatible touching aluminium engine body parts.
I wonder if I am missing some washer of something like that in that place...
Something like cu-al bimetal washer comes to my mind:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Cu-Al-Bimetal-washer_60310249801.html

Anybody has a specs of how these two connections should be made, properly?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts