Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to dealer for oil change...they offered a complete engine flush, which gets rid of sludge and deposits in my 1.8T, with 66,000 miles...it sounded like a good thing, as they told me it would take 10 minutes, and they would flush out the engine before adding the oil....until they told me they wanted $150 for it...has anyone heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did this on my minivan with 140K miles at Valvoline. They added a solvent to the oil and ran the engine for about 5 mnutes before the scheduled oil change. Accoding to Valvoline, this will clean most deposits on the engine. I went along since it was only $9.95.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've thought about this.. what if your engine is older and actually has oil deposits/residue on the cylinder walls, that's keeping it from having blowby. wouldnt flushing it remove the residue?

·
Registered
800 Posts
That is more accurately known as a " Wallet Flush " It serves no purpose other than to move your money to the dealers pocket . If your dealer's service dept reccomends such crap look for a better dealer or a good independant . :crazy:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have done three DIY flushes over the last several months. Cost about $21 for the three bottles of Amsoil flush, plus the cost of doing three extra oil changes in such a short time. I did it just before swithing to Amsoil. I figured if there was any sludge, this would reduce it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts