Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If you make mostly short trips the engine and oil is not getting a chance to get hot enough to burn off the condensation from the cold weather. And the engine compartment is not getting warm enough to heat up the catch can and lines to help do the same. Your temp gauge in the instrument cluster measure coolant temp not oil temp which takes much longer 20-30 minutes during the winter to come up to temp. Especially in Michigan.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,309 Posts
Still the answer stands. Short trips, mostly. Is this all of a sudden, or just since you installed the can?

Seeing how most of the active members here are in the US, Flint to us means Michigan, US, not UK.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
If the catch can is filling with water, I would take it to mean that the oil IS getting hot enough to turn it into vapor, which collects in the can (the reason for having it).

Why so much? Either blow by or coolant. What motor do you have?

I'd do an oil change, unless you're under 1000 miles since the last one, and see if it continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.