Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
2000 1.8t 5 speed ATW 110,000 miles - CEL is on and went to autozone to have codes read. Three codes popped up:

P1128
P1113
P0442
(the guy mentioned something about A/F meter...MAF?)

I believe the p1128 code is related to the MAF. Thinking about cleaning it but I might just replace it. Also thinking about replacing oxygen sensors when I have my mechanic install my TT downpipe.

Any idea on the other codes? I tried to search but couldn't find much. I'm at work so some things are blocked on the internet so any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
You can clean the MAF but you will probably have to replace it. O2 sensors should wait until the MAF problem is corrected. Invalid fuel trim from a bad MAF can throw the O2 readings out of whack.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm gonna follow your advice and replace the MAF, then address the oxygen sensor issue if it still exists.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Bentley manual says...

P1128 Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Lean

P1113 Bank1-Sensor1 Internal Resistance too High
Oxygen sensor heater for oxygen sensor before Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)

P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks...i just ordered remanufacuted MAF and then I'll see where that takes me...if I still get CEL for oxygen sensor, then that's the next piece I replace.

By the way, the braiding on my stock downpipe has rusted and basically broken...just ordered TT downpipe to go with my TT Exhaust I already have...maybe P0442 has something to do with this...

·
Registered
70 Posts
i had a p1136 code

looked at hoses and found a cracked one near manifold next to coolant fill tank at top of engine.

just taped it up and cleared the code and has not come back.

check all your tubes and hoses.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey guys,
2000 1.8t 5 speed ATW 110,000 miles - CEL is on and went to autozone to have codes read. Three codes popped up:

P1128
P1113
P0442
(the guy mentioned something about A/F meter...MAF?)

I believe the p1128 code is related to the MAF. Thinking about cleaning it but I might just replace it. Also thinking about replacing oxygen sensors when I have my mechanic install my TT downpipe.

Any idea on the other codes? I tried to search but couldn't find much. I'm at work so some things are blocked on the internet so any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks

For the P0442, look for a small black hose in the front of the engine that passes underneath the intake manifold and runs to the DV. It's the usual crap hose used in the engine compartment. Mine had gotten brittle from laying up against the manifold from the heat. I replaced it that the CEL went away.

HTH
-K2

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS Manual 1.8L
37 Posts
For the P0442, look for a small black hose in the front of the engine that passes underneath the intake manifold and runs to the DV. It's the usual crap hose used in the engine compartment. Mine had gotten brittle from laying up against the manifold from the heat. I replaced it that the CEL went away.

HTH
-K2
This was very, very useful!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Seems like a lot of very old threads are being bumped recently, perhaps without the new poster realizing it (not that it's a bad thing, if a problem gets solved). Maybe the new website format?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts