Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to use engine degreaser to clean my engine. Any tips out there? I bought some stuff from the local auto parts store. Any brands to avoid? The stuff I bought is supposed to shine up hoses after the cleaning is done...who knows :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As recommended by my local VW shop (not the dealer), use Scrub Bubbles (the stuff sold in the supermarkets to clean bathrooms). This will clean up the engine bay without affecting the rubber or plastic parts. Use a low pressure hose and always keep on the engine plastic cover to protect the coil packs.

AT

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REALLY?? Bathroom Cleaner??? Are you sure?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i used regular engine de-greaser, spray can, 2 cans actually with the high psi pressure washer last year. came out great and never had any problems with hoses or anything else. there is some kind of strange drippy looking yellow film on my firewall that wouldnt come off with anything i tried though. also on my airbox heat shield.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i thought a pressure washer is the way to go, i guess to much psi u could rip apart hoses and stuff, but some pressure couldn't hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts