Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2004.5 GLX v6 sedan and I've just broken 1k miles. I've been told by some that I just need to follow the standard oil change and maintainence routine. Another friend who just purchased a 2004 Nissan 350Z recommended that I change the oil and filter after 1k because the break in period contaminates the oil.

I know that I can get this information from my manual, but I wanted to get a variety of opinions here as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'd leave it as instructed. i believe all manufacturers break in the engine at the factory too so you should've have oil sludged up w/ metal shavings. go the 5k miles then switch to synthetic if u want. if it makes u feel better, do dino oil change now at 1k then at 5k switch to synthetic

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Don't bother changing the oil early. Two reasons:

1) Engines of today are built to pretty fine tolerances, if they didn't do a good job cleaning things up at the factory, your engine would self-destruct. If there are metal shavings in your crank case after it left the factory line, your engine wouldn't be running right now.
2) It's called an oil filter.

SirWired

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
You can change oil now or wait until the 5K mark, wouldn't hurt either way. I changed the crappy dino oil out for syn oil and a larger capacity oil filter after 1500 miles ... your preference.

btw, there is nothing magical about the factory oil, and there is no such thing as break in oil as some may believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.