Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen this topic on here a few times, but the search doesn't return any results. If you have a link on this, please post it.

I plan on detailing the engine and engine bay this spring, when it's warm enough, and was wondering if folks who have done this already cover any of the electronics with plastic or foil? I plan to use 303 Cleaner (not the protectant) to degrease, and then possibly use Meguiar's Engine Kote as a 'finish'. It'll be the first time in 45k miles of it being cleaned...

What do you use as a cleaning procedure for this area (i.e., let car run for 10 minutes or so, then cover electronics, then degrease, etc.)?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, yes, that's what I remember seeing -- couldn't find that particular article -- thanks!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
How about using a high pressue washer? My brother has one and I was thinking of using it.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I felt bad about the state the engine bay was in my car. Though it was a little dust and some oil smears. I used a good number of paper towels and Windex to wipe it clean. Not the best job but sort of a dry clean.

Waiting for good weather. Hey it is already starting to look good around here. If you don't go out at night. Brrrrr. :cry:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
the pressure washer is a good way to do it, but watch 2 things first. The first one is that you do not want to use anything over 2500PSI. The reason behing that is that anything past that has the potential to remover paint or other thing as well. Stay high over the stickers, since 2500PSI is WAY enough to peel them off :p . But take your covers off first and you can wash those by hand with mild soaps and warm water. Later....Rah........... :b5: :thumbup: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
RAH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing