Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have any pictures or know of a resource online with images showing what needs to be disconnected from the automatic transmission prior to removal?
I am taking the engine out with the transmission. Driveshafts are off, just need to locate where everything else needs to be disconnected. It's so tight in there with that huge tranny so not sure where everything is!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
what engine and year? I removed a tiptronic from a B5.5 1.8t and I just followed the Bentley procedure. IIRC, I had to remove the exhaust, axles, fluid lines, wires, mounts, etc. My memory is fading but I seem to remember it was really hard to reach some bolts and I had to tilt the engine/trans down in back to reach some of them. I left the engine in the car though so your case may be different. I'm sure V6 or 4-motion (obviously) would be different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what engine and year? I removed a tiptronic from a B5.5 1.8t and I just followed the Bentley procedure. IIRC, I had to remove the exhaust, axles, fluid lines, wires, mounts, etc. My memory is fading but I seem to remember it was really hard to reach some bolts and I had to tilt the engine/trans down in back to reach some of them. I left the engine in the car though so your case may be different. I'm sure V6 or 4-motion (obviously) would be different.
Hi, it's a 2001 with a V6 and the automatic transmission. I'm trying to find some images online or even a Youtube video but pretty tough to find something where I can easily see what needs to be removed. I've removed my engine and manual trans from my BMW and that was pretty easy but this one seems to be a huge challenge!

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
Since you are taking them out together, you don't have much to remove. The exhaust can come out with them. There is the electrical connector at the front, above the pan, the speedo sensor above the d/s axle and the shift cable on the d/s. The shift cable is held in with a bolt (mark the location on the bracket) and the end pops onto a ball joint type fitting. Remove the trans mounts.
Remove the engine ECU and harness with the engine and unplug the electrical connectors in front of the 2nd firewall on both sides of the engine. Remove the heater hoses from the core and push them down through the opening below.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you are taking them out together, you don't have much to remove. The exhaust can come out with them. There is the electrical connector at the front, above the pan, the speedo sensor above the d/s axle and the shift cable on the d/s. The shift cable is held in with a bolt (mark the location on the bracket) and the end pops onto a ball joint type fitting. Remove the trans mounts.
Remove the engine ECU and harness with the engine and unplug the electrical connectors in front of the 2nd firewall on both sides of the engine. Remove the heater hoses from the core and push them down through the opening below.
Hi thanks for responding. What is d/s though? Drive shaft?
It doesnt sound like much to take out but really difficult without pictures. Do you know of any resource that might have some of these areas? Would be so much easier with a visual. Without a hoist, it's really hard to see stuff laying under the car with that massive transmission lol

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
Hopefully you already know the front of the car has to come off. There are several writeups dealing with timing belts that show that part.

D/S is driver's side. I forgot the trans cooler lines since you have a Tip trans. You do not need to remove the electrical connectors on the firewall, just pry them out of the holders.
Here are the pics that I have:

Here is the trans with the cooler pipes attached. Follow those up to the radiator and you will see flexible hoses with connectors. Remove those, leave the metal pipes on the radiator and engine.
Dropped Trans.jpg

Here are the 2 of the 3 electrical plugs on the trans that need to be removed:
Input shaft.jpg

Here is the 3rd, about 10 O'clock to the axle flange. The shift linkage (shown hanging from car) mounts behind the trans bracket (2 missing bolts):
Trans Side.jpg

Here are the heater hoses behind the engine (with trans removed), so you can see why it's easier to remove the other end and push them down:
Back of engine.jpg

If you need more pics, let me know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully you already know the front of the car has to come off. There are several writeups dealing with timing belts that show that part.

D/S is driver's side. I forgot the trans cooler lines since you have a Tip trans. You do not need to remove the electrical connectors on the firewall, just pry them out of the holders.
Here are the pics that I have:

Here is the trans with the cooler pipes attached. Follow those up to the radiator and you will see flexible hoses with connectors. Remove those, leave the metal pipes on the radiator and engine.
View attachment 90273

Here are the 2 of the 3 electrical plugs on the trans that need to be removed:
View attachment 90275

Here is the 3rd, about 10 O'clock to the axle flange. The shift linkage (shown hanging from car) mounts behind the trans bracket (2 missing bolts):
View attachment 90277

Here are the heater hoses behind the engine (with trans removed), so you can see why it's easier to remove the other end and push them down:
View attachment 90279

If you need more pics, let me know.
Hey man this is great! I can't thank you enough because i'd probably never find these! Regarding the 2 electrical plugs in the one pic, they are just above your hand right? It's a little hard to see but I think that's it.

The complete front end is off the car already so next step is to pull the motor and trans. I bought another engine to swap it with because this engine is dead, hence the reason for pulling everything.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One question about the shift cable. From underneath the car it looks to be buried and can't see where to remove it. Does anything need to be removed to get access to it?

·
Registered
26,616 Posts
Yes, the 2 plugs are just above my hand in that pic. The shift cable is just above the exhaust pipe, but it can be reached without removing anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the 2 plugs are just above my hand in that pic. The shift cable is just above the exhaust pipe, but it can be reached without removing anything.
Ok great. Will give 'er a go this weekend. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts