Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok new problem I know this sounds funny but here it goes I got this sound in my engine that sounds like this (you have to say this out loud to know what I’m talking about and say it kind of fast) tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic ... I notice this after I run the car a little hard and I notice this at a stop of cause like at idle.. I also kind of notice this has happened after I added prolong that oil additive. I run Mobil 5 w 30 in it and have 42, 000 miles on the car ... any ideas on what it might be? Lifters, head, pistons, cam?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Ok say after me (you have to say this out loud to know what I’m talking about and say it kind of fast)

Prolong will prolong my agony after I find out that Prolong does not prolong anything but prolong my suffering after prolonged flogging on ClubB5 because I prolongedly thought that Prolong will prolong, but it does not prolong so I prolongedly should kick myself in ass with prolonged extremity.

Your engin should be fine after that.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boris said:
Ok say after me (you have to say this out loud to know what I’m talking about and say it kind of fast)

Prolong will prolong my agony after I find out that Prolong does not prolong anything but prolong my suffering after prolonged flogging on ClubB5 because I prolongedly thought that Prolong will prolong, but it does not prolong so I prolongedly should kick myself in ass with prolonged extremity.

Your engin should be fine after that.

WTF was that about ?? :crazy: anyone else? :lol:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think what Boris meant was that if you punch Prolong into the search engine, then you would see that it is a hoax, and is pretty much useless.

The tic's are normal, I forget what it is though, some pressure being released within the cooling systyem or something.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blaupassat said:
I think what Boris meant was that if you punch Prolong into the search engine, then you would see that it is a hoax, and is pretty much useless.

The tic's are normal, I forget what it is though, some pressure being released within the cooling systyem or something.

i dont think the tics that i hear are normal... couse its new and also what i did not say is that it goes away after i turn my car off and then restart it and or rev the car to high RPMs

thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
Boris: :thumbup: You may have missed your calling in life!

AK-Passat: Where is the tick coming from in the engine bay, and is it RPM dependent (does it tick faster when the RPMs rise)?

If it is from the airbox/air filter area, or from the rear of the engine or what? Also, do you have the 1.8T?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
IIRC, the tics come from the airbox housing where your ignition control module (ICM) sits. This is actually normal. Part of what goes on in this area is the pollution control mechanisms that continously recirculates gas vapors from the fuel systemand crankcase gases from the valve covers. The tic's are likely the replay that's allowing these gases to purge back into the main PCV valve that sits on the intake hose.

Now if you're hearing this in the cabin with the hood closed, then you have a case for something mechanically wrong.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ericpeterman said:
Boris: :thumbup: You may have missed your calling in life!

AK-Passat: Where is the tick coming from in the engine bay, and is it RPM dependent (does it tick faster when the RPMs rise)?

If it is from the airbox/air filter area, or from the rear of the engine or what? Also, do you have the 1.8T?

Ohh damn I did forget to put what kind of car didn’t I: crazy: sorry it was late but my car is a 1999 vw passat 2.8 v6 30v

No it’s not coming from the air box because I replaced it with a HKS air intake. The noise is coming from the top of the engine and I here it both in the car with widows up and here it when the car is at a stop. It is not the normal tip sound, it is not there when I first start the car for the first time in the morning it comes after driving hard/fast and it goes away when I turn the car off and let it sit for a min or so. And I’m not sure if it is RPM dependent I think it speeds up the ticking noise a little when I rev the car but ill have to look into that. I know you really can’t diagnose a car just by telling someone what the sound is but someone might have had the same problem and at least I have a leg to stand on when I do decide to take the car in to have it checked out
Anyway once again, thank you all for the response

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well AK if you have a V6 the ticking sound you are hearing could possibly be the

plug wires dropping a spark car with bad plug wires will drop the spark normally when the engine is revved high then they normally will settle down after a while.

So check out the plug wires. For some strange reason this is more common on VW's

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phantom GLI said:
Well AK if you have a V6 the ticking sound you are hearing could possibly be the

plug wires dropping a spark car with bad plug wires will drop the spark normally when the engine is revved high then they normally will settle down after a while.

So check out the plug wires. For some strange reason this is more common on VW's
i got the neespeed plug wires ... anyone know how long they last?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know all of us are guilty of trying to make something last a little longer than it's designed for because we paid a little more for it.

IMO the Neuspeed plug wires have just about the same life as Bosch or any other name brand. If you've had the wires for more than a couple of years, it may be time to purchase a new set.

If you have some time, late at night have a look while the car is running and see if you see sparks or arcing around the wires. Basically one of the spark plug wires could be grounding itself.

That's the cheapest way.

Boris...LOL!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
LOL Boris!! :lol:

Sounds like you got a bad case of sticky lifters
after adding that Prolong crap. A few oil changes
with Mobil 1 synthetic should help this. Or maybe
even AutoRx if the M1 doesn't help.

Sometimes additives will gum up in the engine
(A.K.A. varnish). It's quite common. Stay away
from additives. Give your car a good flogging
on the open highway to prevent carbon buildup
once in a while. Use M1 or other synthetic oil only.
And use Chevron Techron at least every other oil
change (prior).

What made you want to add Prolong?

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Colin said:
LOL Boris!! :lol:

Sounds like you got a bad case of sticky lifters
after adding that Prolong crap. A few oil changes
with Mobil 1 synthetic should help this. Or maybe
even AutoRx if the M1 doesn't help.

Sometimes additives will gum up in the engine
(A.K.A. varnish). It's quite common. Stay away
from additives. Give your car a good flogging
on the open highway to prevent carbon buildup
once in a while. Use M1 or other synthetic oil only.
And use Chevron Techron at least every other oil
change (prior).

What made you want to add Prolong?
Man I really don’t know why I added that shit my car has low miles 42,000 and had no engine noise. I have a month off and I am trying to get my car the way some of you have yours done and every time I do something to it something goes wrong. Like my new GIAC ECU chip (there is no change to the car at all) I am still waiting for my ECU to adjust to my driving habits not going to happen. I have added a HKS air intake to it about a year ago and now thinking of putting the OEM back on. Added the neespeed wires to it, I don’t know why but there about a year old nothing different about them. Was told to take out them bosh platinum + plugs out and just use the cheap ones cause the bosh platinum + can harm the car. Also had a stereo, 10 disc CD changer, 2 10” sub with amp and front door components and need to do the back doors and then amp the 4 doors problems with that to. And don’t let me start on my exhaust system what a nightmare you guys would lol if you know what muffler I got on my Passat now it was the only thing I could do to make it quiet again ok ill tell you a Ford F150 muffler is on my car now (you can ask what I had on before if you make it this far). Think im going thru a mid life crisis at 32? Shit what’s going to happen at 50? What im tiring to do is fix this car up before I go to Iraq and when I get back I was or am planning on buying a Vett. But I am thinking of buying a new Passat the one that is easy to mod or the best to mod and the fastest, and start from scratch.
Theres a few more problems to add to this thread but no need..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.