Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I'm still puzzled how cars could get rusted in CA.
If your close to the ocean, you'd be surprised. The salt air will do wonders to a car from the inside out.
Back in 1986 when I lived in La Mirada I bought a 1982 Triumph TR7 from a guy in Malibu. He bought the car brand new.
There was a hole the size of a tennis ball right through the firewall. That's what salt air does.

·
Administrator
23,296 Posts
If your close to the ocean, you'd be surprised. The salt air will do wonders to a car from the inside out.
Back in 1986 when I lived in La Mirada I bought a 1982 Triumph TR7 from a guy in Malibu. He bought the car brand new.
There was a hole the size of a tennis ball right through the firewall. That's what salt air does.
Yeah, but it was a TR7. Not exactly a great example of rust resistant.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,234 Posts
True but it also depends how you treat the car. My car does not have a single rust spot nowhere after 18 years. Living in the salt belt Michigan for years now (before that several years in salt infested Toronto). During the winter time I wash the car regularly and don't let the salt stay on the car.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I live about 1 km downwind of the Pacific Ocean, and corrosion is indeed a major challenge. I was very surprised by the rear window rust on the A4, given that the car has no other rust anywhere, even where I Dremeled the front flange of the fenders to convert to 2000-vintage one-piece wraparound headlights. I need to pull up the chrome trim to see what is going on in there. I suppose the galvanization could have been scratched when the rear window was installed.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I was very surprised by the rear window rust on the A4, given that the car has no other rust anywhere, even where I Dremeled the front flange of the fenders to convert to 2000-vintage one-piece wraparound headlights.
Ha! I remember doing that on my trusty '96. And dabbing some touch-up paint on the exposed metal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
True but it also depends how you treat the car. My car does not have a single rust spot nowhere after 18 years. Living in the salt belt Michigan for years now (before that several years in salt infested Toronto). During the winter time I wash the car regularly and don't let the salt stay on the car.
closest car wash to me is about 23 miles away....
I had to do some plumbing work at my house a little bit ago so I added a hot water line to my exterior hose bib so I am going to see what luck I have come next winter with being able to hose off my truck a lot more often in winter.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
closest car wash to me is about 23 miles away....
I had to do some plumbing work at my house a little bit ago so I added a hot water line to my exterior hose bib so I am going to see what luck I have come next winter with being able to hose off my truck a lot more often in winter.

When I lived in WI I got so sick of the chemicals they pour onto the road I went and bought a kerosene fired pressure washer just so I could spray down the car on a regular basis.

I'm using it here when I steamed the engine bay on my wife's 2003 GLX engine rebuild.

It's the blue unit on the left under the shelving.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because I need advice on a related topic.

As some of you have read, my 1996 A4 Quattro started billowing black smoke inside the cabin while my wife was driving it last month. Everything (even the sunroof!) except the power windows seems to work, so I tore into the door panel, A pillar cover base, hood release lever, and driver's side dash kick panel to inspect the damage and determine the source of the burning smell. The power window circuitry is basically fried, with a combination of melted insulation, burned black electrical tape used by the factory to bundle the wires, and some broken wires that acted as fuses. I was able to find a new driver's door wiring harness, and I have successfully replaced all of the fried wires inside the driver's door, but I still have a charred, melted mess down by the A pillar, under the driver's left footrest, and running off into rabbit holes including up to an under-dash relay panel (the one farthest forward in the car, of course) and into a flooring hole that may lead to the passenger side of the car.

I had originally planned to take it on as a project car, but I am still working full time in an encore career I love, teaching electrical engineering and computer science at university, as well as helping out with our two little grandsons, who could be great co-conspirators on this type of project (as their dad and uncle were when growing up) if they were several years older. I don't have time and patience to part it out, and I hate to send it to scrap with so many good, usable parts. (Engine and transmission are well-maintained and in great shape, with 110K miles on the clock. Body is straight, 4-year-old paint job still looks good, etc.)

OK, get to the point! :) Bottom line: looking for recommendations on how to dispose of it constructively. I am not looking for much, if any, money for it at this point.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
That's a tough one as it requires not just the dash harness, but the body harness too. There may be someone willing to revive it, perhaps one of your students?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Deleted

81 - 92 of 92 Posts