Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,289 Posts
a brand new TB set which I mistakenly ordered; it's for an AWM engine
If I could change TB myself I would have bought the TB set from you as mine in AWM. But I've never done it and am dead scared of it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm pretty sure that it came from ECS Tuning; Continental TB, NTN roller, Febi tensioner. The AEB timing set on the YLwagon is brand new too, including the coolant pump and thermostat!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Only in the U.S.

I vote for an AndreasPassat teardown!
If the car gets towed back to the Phoenix area I could probably wrench on it at will.
I'm all in, but it's up to ylwagon whether or not he wants to pull the trigger on this or not.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Generous offer, AndreasPassat. Seems that a U-haul rental is around $160 one-way to Phoenix, so my son may decide to tow it over.

·
Registered
26,209 Posts
If the car gets towed back to the Phoenix area I could probably wrench on it at will.
I'm all in, but it's up to ylwagon whether or not he wants to pull the trigger on this or not.
Hell, if it was black you would put an offer in on it :)

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's crossed my mind. If a ring broke and was digging into the cylinder wall, that might do it. Being that the problem seemed to be at TDC tells me that the problem is likely related to the crank/rods/pistons, not valves or oil pump or ATF pump. Maybe my son put cheap gas in the tank, and boosted it all the way home. I've got to ask him about that.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
That's crossed my mind. If a ring broke and was digging into the cylinder wall, that might do it. Being that the problem seemed to be at TDC tells me that the problem is likely related to the crank/rods/pistons, not valves or oil pump or ATF pump. Maybe my son put cheap gas in the tank, and boosted it all the way home. I've got to ask him about that.
Certainly a possibility.
But what are the chances that happened and you just happened to shut the engine off right before it trashed every moving part inside the engine?
But then again the Passat god's have been on your side big time with this car.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
True. I read somewhere that the Passat is the largest-selling wagon in Europe. I really wish VWoA would sell a Eurospec Passat wagon stateside.
I wouldn't doubt it. But there are so many different wagons available in Europe I'm not sure if I would buy a Passat Variant. If money wasn't an issue the A6 Allroad would be my pick. Considering I don't have deep pockets like Warren Buffet, I would seriously consider an AWD Skoda Superb. I like the new Superb lines better than the Passat. In my opinion the Superb is a sportier looking wagon.

BOT: If this were my Passat, I would have to tear into it just for curiosity....:poke:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
what are the chances that happened and you just happened to shut the engine off right before it trashed every moving part inside the engine?
I'm sure that with enough disassembly, there would be an "ah ha, there it is" moment. I've worked on plenty of engines, from taking apart my Dad's lawnmower when in grade school, to motorcycles, to Packard-Merlin V-12 P-51 engines, but can't recall any that stumped me like this thing.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
no,no ,no, 215k, it's just broken in! couple comments...... wish you were closer as I am sure that it is in good shape as to maintenance and "corrosion" ,which is the biggist problem here in N.E. Ohio's rust belt,B5 and B5.5 wagons are the best as to performance, mechanically and human factors (comfort,convenience and room), nothing say performance like blowing the doors off of a Prius (sport model of course)ha! ,seriously I was thinking you should be able to tell if it is cams or crank related since the cams and crank are at a 1:2 ratio respectively, and also if I'm not mistaken just one set of valves is interference fit in nature...... signed ,"Broken Hearted in Ohio"

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,289 Posts
I was thinking you should be able to tell if it is cams or crank related since the cams and crank are at a 1:2 ratio respectively, and also if I'm not mistaken just one set of valves is interference fit in nature
So would the cams or crank have bend the valves? I thought that happens only when the belt is torn up. Anyway, these are always too confusing to me. Getting too old I guess.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So would the cams or crank have bend the valves? I thought that happens only when the belt is torn up.
If valves have been hit by piston tops, they are likely to bend, and not retract back to their valve seats. So every revolution, the same pistons and valves would be in contact, which is kind of what this felt like, before the tightening up. However, when valves don't return to their seats, the cam followers also don't stay in contact with the heel of the cam lobes, and this can be seen by watching the followers as they rise and fall with cam rotation. Everything looked perfect while I could the crank rotated, and all marks (crankshaft pulley, camshaft pulley, and cam chain sprockets) lined up just right.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Are you thinking of zuipping the head off? Should only take a few hours at a nice leisurly pace with a :beer: about every 15 to 20 minutes.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One of my chores is to replace the fabric roof glass shade in my wife's Q5, so that has to come first. However, if my son decides to take the wagon to Surprise(!) Arizona, I know from observation that he and his buds have no problem keeping some big cases of assorted IPAs and craft brews on-hand.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts