Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to have a friends VAG-COM in my possesion and decided to try out the "old strategy" and "sport mode" for the tranny (2002 B5.5 V6 GLX 4 Motion Variant).
Impressions so far is that I really like it. The car is much more responsive and less sluggish due to the quicker downshifts. The off the line take off (less DBW lag) is improved as well.

Gets my vote :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can you post any effects to your mpg after driving in sport mode for a while? I've been thinking about doing this mod and I already have a vagcom, but I don't need my mpg to go down anymore on my V6 4-Mo. Thanks...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post any effects to your mpg after driving in sport mode for a while? I've been thinking about doing this mod and I already have a vagcom, but I don't need my mpg to go down anymore on my V6 4-Mo. Thanks...
I would, but I've never paid close attention to the previous MPG. The guy who posted the instructions noted no obvious MPG decrease.

For me it's worth the improved drivability...even though the wife drives it the most :biglaugh:

If you've got the VAG-COM, just make the change and test it out. It's stupid easy to change!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think there would be a slight decrease, but not much. I plan on doing it to mine eventually.

I drive with sport mode enabled from time to time using the gas peddle trick (hold it down for about 5 seconds before starting the car, and then feel it "drop" about an inch -- then start up the car -- it'll stay active until the car is shutoff and then you can just do it the next time.)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've seen no drop in mpg. I drive pretty mellow most of the time in town. My wife on the other hand loves it and gets less mpg in town. (she has a lot more fun than I do! :biglaugh: ) Dang she can go through tires and brakes!

·
Registered
503 Posts
:D Why did you buy a V6 4-mo if you can even think about saving that 2mpg. :D

8,184 Posts
Its in the way you drive it, sports mode will still drive like stock if you drive it soft. But if you slam the gas down the sport just down shifts very early to get the RPM up. also when I slam the gas, my tranny doesn't shift till like 5 to 6000 rpms.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Its in the way you drive it, sports mode will still drive like stock if you drive it soft. But if you slam the gas down the sport just down shifts very early to get the RPM up. also when I slam the gas, my tranny doesn't shift till like 5 to 6000 rpms.
dont u mean sport mode shifts later to get the rpm's up?

8,184 Posts
Yup it will hold the gear longer, and downshift right away when you hit the gas (like your in 3rd gear and tring to pass someone, the tranny will shift you to 2nd instead of keeping you in 3rd). but if you drive it like a normal person would it will shift just like the stock settings (which shifts you around 4,000rpm). But if you are slamming the gas it will hold each gear till around 5,000 to 6,000rpm. All it does is make it shift like an audi (for there are geared sport and not family like ours) but the tranny adapt to your driving habbits too. If you have a B5.5 you can do something like push and hold the gas petal down before you start her up to feel what its like.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,300 Posts
I do notice my B6 A4 holds gears longer and downshifts easier than my B5.5 Passat of the same year. The Passat will shift into 5th between 40-45 and the A4 won't shift until 50. Same engines and I assume same trannies. It also has a sport(ier) mode you can shift into.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think there would be a slight decrease, but not much. I plan on doing it to mine eventually.

I drive with sport mode enabled from time to time using the gas peddle trick (hold it down for about 5 seconds before starting the car, and then feel it "drop" about an inch -- then start up the car -- it'll stay active until the car is shutoff and then you can just do it the next time.)

Marshalus - I want to try your gas peddle trick..

What do you mean by hold the pedal down 5 seconds before starting the car?

You mean depress it fully? Also does the key have to be in the ignition, or in a certain position? I II III???

Also, how do you know that this method is putting the AT in Sport mode?

Thankx

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I just had this done to mine a few weeks ago too and i love it. And i can vouch that it has no adverse affect if you have a tip chip (GIAC). I expressed this concern to my indy guy and he said it doesn't matter as all your doing is disabling the auto up-shift when in manual mode and disabling the kick down. Manual mode really is manual now, lol. So my red line is like 7,500 now where as before i'd get to about 6,700 before it upshifted.

8,184 Posts
I do notice my B6 A4 holds gears longer and downshifts easier than my B5.5 Passat of the same year. The Passat will shift into 5th between 40-45 and the A4 won't shift until 50. Same engines and I assume same trannies. It also has a sport(ier) mode you can shift into.
Yup same tranny same everything. just the code off by one number...lol. If you think about it its smart pay like 5 to 8 grand more for a sports car or pay less for a passat...its smart busniess wise. but you can change your passat to do the same

8,184 Posts
I just had this done to mine a few weeks ago too and i love it. And i can vouch that it has no adverse affect if you have a tip chip (GIAC). I expressed this concern to my indy guy and he said it doesn't matter as all your doing is disabling the auto up-shift when in manual mode and disabling the kick down. Manual mode really is manual now, lol. So my red line is like 7,500 now where as before i'd get to about 6,700 before it upshifted.
Yeah the tip chip is just when you pop the tranny all the way over and it shorten the shifting time, but it does nothing with the auto mode. But I have a B5 so mine didn't have all the other stuff you have like the kickdown and manual mode. Which there is a write up here with the codes for each year

·
The "Odd" one
6,066 Posts
Why does this verbiage seem to be the same exact from a few months ago....anywho

I did mine a few months ago and I notice no difference in the gas mileage. Things I noticed that I like:
1. Seems like it goes a couple hundred more RPMs when hitting redline (doesnt happen to often)
2. In tip mode, at say 3K RPM in 3rd gear, if you floor it it will stay in the gear and not downshift to 2nd. I used to hate that it would shift for you, making it feel like it really wasnt a tip.
3. Faster downshifting through all gears.

8,184 Posts
Yup this topic is always crushed to death...thats why I know alot about it. I have been in sport for 2 years and drove another V6 without it....never again.

but there is something I just was thinking about would be....if you have a turbo and it would mabye hold a long boost due to holding the gear longer??? but I have no idea:lol:

·
Lock and Load
4,040 Posts
Is this one also for Tiptronic transmission? Can someone post the "how to" , because I have the VAG COM but haven't used it yet :lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also, how do you know that this method is putting the AT in Sport mode?
You don't know, mainly because it isn't. I verified this quite some time ago by using VAG-COM to watch measuring value blocks out of the transmission controller after doing this procedure. There is no change. The transmission controller recode does work. What using VAG-COM to recode the transmission to "sport" in fact does, is disable the Dynamic Shifting Program, which you can see happen in VAG-COM when the DSP-related MVBs all become static/inactive. DSP tries to shift early for fuel economy, but it will factor in how heavy you are on the throttle over time, and use more sporty programs if that seems to be what the driver wants. The non-dynamic shift settings are more aggressive/less fuel-saving than the DSP economy mode you would be in at most times. Supposedly this procedure does do something useful on the Jetta/Golf AT. I have no way of saying.

There is a separate setting in the transmission controller that changes Tiptronic shifting behavior to something VW documentation calls "old strategy". It disables downshift on kickdown, disables upshift on redline and I think it also changes downshifting strategy when coasting to a stop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Was kinda wondering how that worked???
It didn't make sense to me.

I know my older BMW E34 would display fault codes if I put the ignition in the first position and rapidly depressed the accelerator 3 times.
Must be a German thing. :confused:

If I can find someone with a VAG COM in eastern PA I'll try it..
Not sure I'm willing to invest in a unit at this time

Thanks for clearing that up... (JRYOUNG8607)

8,184 Posts
Was kinda wondering how that worked???
It didn't make sense to me.

I know my older BMW E34 would display fault codes if I put the ignition in the first position and rapidly depressed the accelerator 3 times.
Must be a German thing. :confused:

If I can find someone with a VAG COM in eastern PA I'll try it..
Not sure I'm willing to invest in a unit at this time

Thanks for clearing that up... (JRYOUNG8607)
there are a few members out that way with one....how east?? Phili or harrisburg?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts