Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my check engine came on i went t ocheck it out and auto zone say the problem is the camshaft position sensor. when the engine came on the emission workshop light came on. is the problem the camshaft or something else. helllpppppp please!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,511 Posts
These sensors sometimes go bad. If the sensor itself is good, then I would suspect your cam chain adjuster, which can throw off your intake cam timing. A third possibility is a stretched timing belt or a tired timing belt tensioner, which can throw off the timing of both cams.

The cam chain adjuster is supposed to move upward to its intake advance position only during off-idle acceleration. If it sticks in this position, perhaps this would trip the camshaft position sensor error code. Alternatively, if the CCA is not maintaining proper chain tension and dampening chain vibrations, it could be a time bomb ready to destroy your intake valves. Do you hear a diesel-like clatter on cold starts and/or hot idle?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
my check engine came on i went t ocheck it out and auto zone say the problem is the camshaft position sensor. when the engine came on the emission workshop light came on. is the problem the camshaft or something else. helllpppppp please!!!!!!!!
model year,engine,mileage,.................i had my camshaft postion sensor go bad appx. 4,600 miles after a TB job,@79,000 miles,it may have just failed,its been ok since then ,at 83,000 now,it came to appx, 175.00 $parts & labor us dollars ,just wait till you start to need o2 sensors,more money for those parts on the V-6 ,it has 4 of them,ive already been through 3 diffrerent ones since 61,000 miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts