1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a little bit of history

its a 2000 v6

its been a dream so far

i recently did my sparkplugs ( like 3-4 weeks ago)
went to platinum plugs ( the orgonal oem's where in there)

today i left for work and about a mile from home it beeped and gave me the emessions workshop on the display and the check engine light

its not idleing rough and its not lost any power that i can feel

im getting my own code reader but its still in the mail ( ordered it before this for a diffrent car)

but till then any suggestons of simple stuff i can check ?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Did you fill up the tank recently? When you did, did you make sure and tighten the cap until it clicked? If you;re not sure, run out, loosen and retighten until it clicks, go drive around for like 5 - 10 miles and it will probably turn off.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

ill check my hoses and gas cap when i leave from work

could it be bad gas ( i got 91oc but it was from a back woods place) mabey water or something in the line?

·
Registered
334 Posts
91 oct should be fine, in fact, that's all I can find here in salt lake city. Anyway, i have a V6 and I have got a CEL as well. It's giving me the code P0431. I took to the dealer today, they told me it's either the CAT or the Oxygen sensor, since there are two of them, they will find out which one is causing the problem first. I hope it's the CAT, because they will replace it for free under the warrenty.

Is your CEL flashing or stay on the whole time? If it's flashing, you shouldn't be driving the car at all. Just pull the car into the Autozone, they will be able to scan your code for you for free.

Good luck,

·
Registered
334 Posts
well, just got a call back from my dealer, he told me both of my CATs are bad. :lol: However, they don't have them in stock, so, I will have to wait till next week to get the replaced.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its pretty cold here still

what green vacume hosse ( pic please or at least a general area to look)

i hope its not cats or o2 sensors becuase im not under warnity anymore ( bought it used)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Your best bet would to be a search on vacuum hoses. Or a search on: Emissions workshop. Im sure there are pictures floating around. If I remember its towards the back of the engine...to the left, or right. You will have to take the covers off to see them - mine were green and biege.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No No No These cars miss-fire all the time sending a code. I'm sure that's what it is.
Just have them or somebody clear it.
Scott

·
Registered
113 Posts
I second the vacuum hoses as well. The dealer will replace those for free under the recall for the V6. happened to me too. Also have them replace the coolant temperature sensor while they are at it since it will probably fail eventually and give you problems when hotstarting in the summer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Crash I sent you a PM but not sure if it went through so here is a repeat.

Before the dealer tries to charge you for O2 sensors or cats, have them replace the vacuum hoses under the vacuum hose recall for the V6. I had the exact same problem. Go to autozone first and see if you get 2 DTC codes as follows:

P1411 - Sec.Air.Inj.Sys.,Bank2 Flow too low
P1423 - Sec.Air.Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Flow too low

If you get these, take to the dealer and make them replace the affected lines for free. Make sure to mention the recall because they will try to play dumb. Might as well get the fender liner recall done as well.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of these recalls on their computers, or I place where I can print out and bring a hard document in with me stating there is a recall? Especially for the fender liner and the thermostat.

My dealer is a PITA...

Thank you in advance,
B

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it lancerV6

thanks

i would like a hard copy too ( or a place to print my own) im sure you wont belive this but my dealership tends to be dishonest some times and even charge me for stupid stuff
( not like your dealer im sure)

UPDATE

put the plastic covering BACK on and now i get the emisions workshop

so im pretty sure its some wire or hose or something coming lose or getting squished

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fairfax VA

( centreville to be exact)

UPDATE

okay im pretty pissed off now
i took it to the shop to have them look at it

and they called me and the light is back off and apprently it doesnt acutally "store" old codes or something like that

so WTF if its on again off again like this is it the damn hose

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Call VWoA and register your name with the VIN. Ask them which recalls have been done. They keep it in their records. Don't go to a dealer to find out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts