Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elimination round: 3 cars go in, two come out!!

So here's the latest update in the car search -- I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats waiting for it!! :D

My current list of possible cars to replace ol' reliable (1995 infiniti G20t) consists of: WRX wagon, .:R32 and Passat 1.8T 4mo (and some others, but we'll keep it simple for today).

First off, I was able to drive 2 of the above cars on saturday: WRX and Passat. VW dealer only had one R32 and it was on the showroom floor - they weren't willing to roll it out just so I could take my joyride. ;)

R32 impressions
First impression was the fit and finish. This car is solid, good attention to detail, nice brushed aluminum accents, everything has a good quality feel to it.

As others have mentioned, the seats are spectacular. Roomier than the seats in my G20, and at the same time more supportive - very nice. I checked the backseat for carseat accessibility and it looks good. Not as convenient as a 4 door of course, but the way the MKIV seats move up it makes for the most usable backseat I've seen in a 2-door.

Passat 1.8T 4mo impressions
As with the R32, and with my previous Passat, fit and finish, build quality, feel of the car was absolutely solid. Very nice. But you all knew that. ;)

The drive was nice - it didn't seem as punchy as my UPsolute-chipped FWD 1.8T, but it did not disappoint. 4mo was great - only once blasting off out of a turn from a full stop was I able to break a tire loose, and it just let out a little whisper of a chirp.

Stock suspension was firmer than I remember my stocks on the 2000 passat, but would still need replacing. ;)

Leatherette was beautiful - although the car I drove was dressed in full leather, I was able to crawl around in a wagon with leatherette and could not tell the difference. Only nice things about full leather are wrapped steering wheel, e-brake handle and wood trim.

WRX impressions
I made the mistake of going to the subie dealer AFTER driving the Passat. First thing I noticed was the cheap materials inside the car. I thought the new '04 seats were not as supportive as the previous generation. Doors closed with a BANG whereas on the R32 and Passat they let out a gentle "whoomp".

Driving was part fun, part frustration. Of course, after a couple of days I would certainly get the feel for the binary engine of the WRX, but on the test drive it was hard to tame the beast. By binary I mean, the boost is on or off, nothing in between. Off is annoying, not as much power as my current car, I imagine passing would usually require a downshift to get into boost territory. And the land of boost is fun, don't get me wrong. It grabs and goes without question. But its a car meant for the track - certainly somewhere without a 35mph speed limit (dealers really should have a track out back for test drives...).

I came away with the impression that the WRX was an unrefined monster trapped in a tin can. Fun to drive, but I wouldn't want to take it on a road trip anytime soon.

So it gets dropped from the list. Down to R32 and Passat for now.

Oh, BTW - subie sales guy says although the 05 Legacy's are coming in within 2 weeks, the GTs won't be here till August. :(

I'll be back for another test drive about that time. :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the legacy is targeted at a different audience (me... its all about me dammit), and I'm suspecting the fit and finish will be far above and beyond that of the impreza line (and the current legacy line for that matter).

BTW, the GT is of course on my list but has not been released yet as is the Audi A3. Since I'm not buying anytime soon I can keep these in mind. Only thing the A3 has going for it at this point over the R32 is its 2 extra doors. If they don't make it available with a sport package from the start, its right out. :mad:

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I checked out the New Legacy at the autoshow and it was very nice over all. The doors closed like a VW and the fit and finish were probably on par with VW as well. The moonroof was HUGE! The seats were very supportive and pretty comfy. The only thing I did not like about the design of the Legacy wagon was the placement of the reverse lights. They decided to place it on the hatch door instead of incorporating it into the tail light cluster.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoypinoy1234 said:
...The only thing I did not like about the design of the Legacy wagon was the placement of the reverse lights. They decided to place it on the hatch door instead of incorporating it into the tail light cluster.
dammit! ok, that's it... no legacy for me!!! j/k. :lol:

good to hear, and nice pics! I'm very jealous that you got to go see it in person - my sales guy at the subie dealership said he got to drive one... the bastid.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
no GT till august? No macintosh stereo either, that sucks. Oh well that 's ok, the saabs lease isn't up for a while.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Are you sure it won't have the McIntosh system? On the current Legacy chassis, it only comes on certain Outback trim levels. I believe it's an option in Japan, not standard, and I haven't seen that info released officially for US models yet.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Interesting, the guys at my Subie, said they woudl have the Legacy GT (and 2.5i) in late may or early june.

Also I havn't heard either way on the McIntosh stereo.

-Nick

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
It's a high-end 13-speaker stereo with the components designed and placed by McIntosh specifically for the car they are to be placed in. It's expensive, so I wouldn't be totally suprised if it didn't make it over here especially considering Subaru doesn't really do the option thing. If it's available at all it will probably be standard on some trim level. Currently it's on the Outback but not the regular Legacy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
TAckhouse1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing