Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be calling the dealership with this but I trust the geniuses here more than I trust them, so I wanted to see what others thought compared to the service tech's.

The major issue is that I think there is an electrical problem. Ever since a few months ago when we had flooding in the area, my foglamps have had condensation in them, and whenever the car sits for more than overnight the car is hard to start; and if it sits for more than 30hrs, it dies.

I haven't had problems in the past 3 or 4 weeks (Note that it has been pretty dry here). Today I come out and it had rained overnight, and sure enough the battery was so dead my keyfob couldn't even unlock the doors.

The first time I brought it in they claimed it was my iPod install causing a leak, but it did not seem reasonable since it was not connected when the car was sitting so I did not see how it could be a drain. Just in case though, I will be disconnecting it before bringing it in.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just a guess...

Water in foglights causes a short circuit --> short causes battery drain --> 30 hours to dead battery. Since frequent restarts aren't a problem, alternator is okay.

Get the water out of the foglight housings. Also, unplug and clean up the wiring harnesses in this area (may be water in them too).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something else I should mention is that the foglights still work....

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
In that case, I have no idea.

Have you had the battery tested?

The length of time and rain/no rain may not be related... will it die in 30 hours if there is dry weather?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I disconnected the iPod just in case, and dropped it off Tuesday night for a Wednesday appointment. They had to keep the car until Friday (so they worked at least partially on both Wed, Thurs), because they were having trouble identifying the drain on the system (according to the voicemail, unfortunately deleted since).

But, when I picked it up, all the labor sheet said was a new battery installed and had nothing of the drain the mechanic mentioned on the phone. IN ADDITION, there was a a note stating "customer removed ipod prior to work". I still think it was bullshit they were blaming the iPod, because I had no problems for 6 months with it installed, and the voicemail said they needed to keep it because they had not figured it out yet.

... so I am wondering now if that means they were covering themselves and blaming the drain on me, or am I overreacting? Do I even need to worry?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did they post the labor time for troubleshooting the current drain? I have a bad feeling that all they did was keep your car for 2 days and chuck in a battery.

It's very easy for them to determine if there is a drain or not. All they do is unhook a battery lead and insert the ammeter. Once they see there is a drain, it could take a couple of hours (max) to finally find and fix the problem. Bascially, all they have to do is start disconnecting things until the drain stops. Pretty simple, but time consuming.

A current drain is just like a fluid leak, when you see it leaking, you find where the leak is and then you fix it. You don't just pour in more fluid (or a new battery) and give it back to the customer. The dealer needs to put a decent tech onto the problem though.

When the dealer knows he doesn't have techs available with the mental horsepower to really troubleshoot a problem, they give you a song and dance, swap out a part, and bill VW or you for it whether it fixes anything or not. If you don't get mad, they win. Frankly, I don't think they are trying to fix your problem at all. Go someplace else.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jimbo -- i do have a good understanding of electronics (but thanks anyway). Whatever the issue was it is fine now (that onstar light is green and it sat for an extra two days in their lot and didnt die). But i wonder what happened to the drain.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.