Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something very odd happen today when trying to start the old gal up this morning.
It took a few cranks of the starter to get her to fire up, which lately has been normal. I initially thought I was having a fuel delivery problem, but now I think it's electrical.

Today, the instrument cluster reset the clock and trip mileage.
And what was really odd was that both power mirrors folded all the way against the doors.

I am leaning toward this being a grounding problem. But it could be that my starter is about to crap out.

Has anyone experienced this particular Gremlin before?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How old is your battery? It could be that starting caused the voltage to drop so low that the electronics got reset. Of course, check and clean all connections in the starting circuit but it sounds like a bad battery to me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found out that it was a loose connection on the positive side. Occam's razor strikes again. Of course, with me initially thinking it was a fuel delivery issue, I already replaced the fuel filter and regulator. They were probably due anyways - at least that's my excuse.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I already replaced the fuel filter and regulator. They were probably due anyways - at least that's my excuse.
At least you actually replaced the fuel filter.
I'm pretty sure the one my 1998 GLS is still original. I've owned the car since 2006 and my ex sister-in-law bought the car when it was 6 months old. And I'm sure it was never replaced when she owned it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,951 Posts
At least you actually replaced the fuel filter.
I'm pretty sure the one my 1998 GLS is still original. I've owned the car since 2006 and my ex sister-in-law bought the car when it was 6 months old. And I'm sure it was never replaced when she owned it.
Shame on you. :eek:

Reactions: AndreasPassat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts