Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been experiencing some weird stuff... It started with my instrument cluster turning off intermittently. Now my car won't even start. I had an old instrument cluster laying around that I tried with the same result. Take a look at the video below.

Does anybody have an idea of what this could be? Bad ground? I have replaced half of the relays and checked every single fuse...

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
Corroded wire splices under the carpet going to the CCM, or maybe the CCM itself is wet.

Edit: now that I watched your video, I was thinking it might be your battery or grounds.

Bad batteries (usually with a dead cell) can cause some weird electrical issues, so have it tested.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I've had the ignition switch kill the cluster with a no-start condition, but it was either on or off, not the light show you have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is only a few weeks old. I am out of town for a few days, but will be back to check in a few days. Any idea what ground it could be or where they all are?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give you guys an update: I was poking around with my multimeter when I saw that one of the ground bolts under the dash was loose for some reason... After tightening it, it started right up and I haven't noticed anything weird since! Crossing my fingers that it won't start acting up again. If so, I can't believe how little it takes before nothing works lol :icon_eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts