Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This combination gives a modest drop along with superior handling over the stock suspension. I did some spirited driving, and the turns that used to give me a challenge are child's play. No more squat, drive, or that "lincoln town car" floaty feel.

:thumbup: To Herman's site!!! without it, I wouldn't have even been able to attempt this!!!! when you do do this yourself, if you're like me? you'll start laughing when you realize how easy the rears were to do.... I found that an air impact wrench was the easiest to remove the upper strut assembly bolt. Otherwise, his write up was DEAD on.

my only problem is now? my ABS kicks in when rolling to a slow stop exactly at 10mph everytime... took it to my dealer today, and they said it was because my speed sensor is screwy due to the fact that I ahve on 17 and one 15 on the front as i'm waiting for a new tire for the other 17... we'll see when i get my tire next week.

more picts at http://www.creighton.edu/~cyoon

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
chrisyoon

Put the 15 inch wheel on the rear and it might help with abs kicking problem.

Pete

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 15 was on the front before the suspension drop, so I did some playing around today, removed the speed sensors, cleaned them, and BAM! perfect brakes again!!! man, gotta love the suspension. feels like a new car after removing the 60K mile stock one!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Where are these speed sensors you speak of :???: Dropped my car today and the same thing is happening. The car did not do this before hand and it only has 600 miles on it :???: If your going fast and brake it's fine but at a slow roll it does it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as your lights aren't flashing on the dash, then your sensors should still be physically okay. I had the dealer VAG it to tell me which sensor was acting up, and mine was the front right.

For the front brakes, the sensor is a little plastic plug on the front of the caliper right behind the rotor. it should have a rubber boot on it as well, and a wire pigtailing up through the subframe. Pull it out, it should be held in only by pressure, and is a cylindrical solid metal plug about 2 inches long. clean off any liquid wrench or metal that might have fallen on it which was the culprit for my car. make it real clean with a paper towel, and place it back into the socket making sure it's very snug and making contact on the other end.

You'll have to take off the tire to get to it, and crank your wheel accordingly. If you don't have a VAG, do both the fronts, and then test drive the car. If that didn't cure it, then you'll have to find the rear ones and do the same.

More than likely, yours got some gunk on it, or was knocked loose like mine was. The sensor shouldn't be damaged unless you put a wound on the sender wire, in which case, check those too following it up as far as you can in the wheel well.

Hope that helped, and hope you get your brakes fixed. It was really working my ABS pump hard, and adding about a foot to my sotpping distance.

let me know if this worked, or if you have any other questions.

g'luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you have the same outside tire diameter, there should be no reason that the wheel speeds would be different between the 15 and 17 inch rims. Doesn't make sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts