Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After gathering info from Eibach Dampers kits and the stock bumps lengths I have come to the conclusion that there is an issue.

If you buy part# 8557.140 98-2001 1.8t it will direct you to cut the bumpstop 30mm on the bottom. Most likely this will be on all the Passat kits.
If you buy the Dampers as well they come with new bumpstops. Most people think that they are already set to the correct height and that you should just install them as is. WRONG!!!
You need to cut our provided bumpstops 30mm as well.
This may be part of an ongoing problem of the rear sitting lower than front.
Some cars are more noticable than others. So some people may not notice it while others do.
Basically you should follow the directions in the Prokit even if we provide new bumpstops in our Dampers.
Hope this helps some of you with this issue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is something that should go in the Info Forum. Might help to relate the specific problem and vehicles addressed here. I assume this was on the people who were uneven after installing Eibach Pro System.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wierd... I bought their dampers and they gave me the 1BE bumpstops. If they are going to go through the trouble of supplying new bumpstops, why would t they just give you ones already cut or supply some from a vendor with the correct height?

Also, I can't see how the bumpstop would effect the ride height since that would mean the car is sitting on the bumpstop and not the springs...

I'm somewhat skeptical....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
Wierd... I bought their dampers and they gave me the 1BE bumpstops. If they are going to go through the trouble of supplying new bumpstops, why would t they just give you ones already cut or supply some from a vendor with the correct height?

Also, I can't see how the bumpstop would effect the ride height since that would mean the car is sitting on the bumpstop and not the springs...

I'm somewhat skeptical....

I have to wonder this too. The bumpstops are not even touched unless you get near bottoming out..right? I mean, the reason for cutting them is the shorter travel of the shocks and springs, and so you don't actually bottom out as soon.

I still think the solution is what I did... get the low-vin pirches (factory pirches) and use what ever shocks. I have the non adjustable bilsteins. With my setup of the low-vin pirches on my bilsteins and my eibach springs, it now sits near perfectly even with about a 2 finger wheel gap.

I don't know about other shocks, such as koni, stock,etc.. I only know about my bilsteins. If anyone else can jump in here and say that they have been able to use the low-vin pirches and other shocks to correct the higher front end issue, that would be great.

Kevin

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct, I agree with you on that we (Eibach) should have them already cut in the box. Or at least have this in the Pro Damper instructions. It only takes a minute.

You are correct, my passat sits on the bumpstop as do most Euorpean cars. The bumpstop is more of a secondary set of springs woth it's own rate. This is determinded by the firmness of the polyfoam material. Our cars are not like a Honda that bottoms out on the bumpstop. Our suspension uses the bumpstops for increased performance. Simple proof... if our car only used the bumpstop to keep from bottoming out this would mean the suspension would have to compress the spring 3 more inches (the thickness of the bumpstop)before the strut would bottom out on it's self. Do you know where that would put the tire with our motion ratio? About 2 inches right through the front fender!! :mad: Believe me that not way their there. You would have to catch about 3 feet of air in order to Achieve this
All I do is suspension that is why I know this. Most Euro's use this technique because it takes less wire so it's lighter, less material which saves money better gas mileage. Not to mention over all ride quality is improved. You will never feel the car go into the bumpstop because even from the factory it sits about 1/2" away from the top of the strut and it's very soft initially and progressively gets more firm towards the top. :sleep: don't fall asleep
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't understand... We are talking about the front suspension right?
If I knew how to upload picture, you could see the suspension schematic (would bentley forgive me?)... it is pretty clear to me that the spring do not sit on the bumpstop.

Dan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Okay you guys have me all confused now. Using the "finger scale" on my 2003 1.8T Passat with the Eibach Pro-System (springs & dampers), I can squeeze two fingers in the rear wheel well and comfortably get three fingers in the front. So you could say my ride height is uneven. As far as I know, the shop where I had everything installed just installed the parts "as is" and didn't cut anything down.

So would having my installer remove the front suspension, cut the bumpstomps down to 30mm, and reinstall everything perfectly even this out?

And this perches thing confuses me even more. What exactly are perches and how would they effect the ride hight of my car? What does "low-vin" mean?

Help please. :(

Here is a picure of my car as it sits now (with the brightness turned way up so you can see the wheel well):

The picture is fairly deceiving, but if you look closely you can see the .5" inch difference front to back.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Why is it that the Variants sit level? Even wheel well gap front and rear. The rear does not sag like on the sedan.
So whats up with that :???:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The finger gap test for the wheel wells is misleading. Look at the lower valences. You can clearly see a downward slopr from back to front. Mmeasure it if you want, but the black valence in the rear is further off the ground than the front.

I would say in my variant that I can get about 2 fingers in back and 2.5 fingers in front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wagon is stock as far as suspension is concerned and IT DOES NOT look even if I look at the wells. I remember I made the same observation with my mkII.

I think it is the front wells that are higher so that there is mucho clearance when the wheels steer?

I also think that there is "illusion" that the rear is lower because the rear wells go further out with reference to the wheel. I did not make any measurements yet. I will before I make any suspension mods.

Dan

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be checking on the newer instructions for the 2001 1/2 kits and above. I would think it's the same but you never now. the only difference was weight of the vehicle so the rates were increased slighly from what I remember.
And yes the front appear to sit higher in the front in stock stance. The body line is what is importtant in regards to perfomace not the wheel wells. IF I can get it to work I will post piks of my car which has no gap difference.
Scott

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
sashadg said:
I will be checking on the newer instructions for the 2001 1/2 kits and above. I would think it's the same but you never now. the only difference was weight of the vehicle so the rates were increased slighly from what I remember.
And yes the front appear to sit higher in the front in stock stance. The body line is what is importtant in regards to perfomace not the wheel wells. IF I can get it to work I will post piks of my car which has no gap difference.
Scott
Lets see that picture :wink:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Blesers car looks perfect. The wheel gaps are always going to be different on a level car. The front wheel arches are cut higher than the back. Compare them to the chrome strip on the side. All Golfs and Jettas are like this too. 8)

·
Registered
869 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter if the car is technically "level", i.e. same height from the ground in front and back. Other suspension systems do not appear higher in the front, and that's what I care about. If this means that they are not technically level, I don't really care.

I cut the bumpstops on mine just like the instructions said, and I still have a larger gap in the front:

Doesn't look too bad in that picture, but there is a difference in finger gap.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Seems to me the only way to get wheel well gap to look the same with the Eibachs is with the Bilstein Grooved on the lowest pirch up front.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
sashadg said:
Scott
Scott asked me to post some pics of his car so here you go!

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
quality_sound said:
sashadg said:
Scott
Scott asked me to post some pics of his car so here you go!

Paul :thumbup:
I see red X

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
DAMMIT!!!!!!!! Is it just me or the friggin' site? All kinds of pics all over the site are showing red x's. Hell, sometimes refreshing a page will get some pics to work but then others drop out.

Paul :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts