Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as you guys may or may not know, the wife and I (she is 7 mos preggo, so safety first!) got a new (to us) car. On March 22nd.......well, as she was in the process of cleaning out her Sentra for me to drive (icky) I got to drive the new baby mobile to work! On Saturday, I came up to an incline and WHAMM!!! Misfire-like issues ensue..So, turns out coilpack on cylinder 3........Warranty and roadside assistance covered it, but really, how much of a pain in the ass are the coilpacks gonna be on a 2003 1.8t Passat??

TIA

·
Registered
90 Posts
Buy some replacements

I got stuck twice with the coil pack problems prior to the recalls.

So I ordered 4 new coilpacks and stored them in the kit in the trunk. I showed my wife how to diagnose the problem and replace the failed coilpack.

Since then I haven't had another problem- but it's nice to know I'm carrying insurance.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yeah that's why I'm replacing my coils I have a 99 and everything else from the previous owner seems to be original so rather than wait for the coilpack to go and then towing and buying a new one anyway I figured I might do some preventative medicine and order them and replace the old ones. I keep one of the old ones in the trunk because they are working when I take em out so if anything fails atleast I have a backup.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I actually never knew Passats had coil packs. Where the hell are they located?
Under the engine cover bro.

On a side note, I am local and if you need some help with modding let me know as I might be able to help you out. I am close by with a lot of tools.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Your best bet is to replace the coil packs with the Hitachi ones which are available from the dealer for about $40 each, part number 06B905115E. Do not get the aftermarket one as they are total crap (trust me). These coils are straight p-n-p and they don't blow up as the Bremi ones. Also check ECS as they are selling the same coils.

·
Banned
845 Posts
So, as you guys may or may not know, the wife and I (she is 7 mos preggo, so safety first!) got a new (to us) car. On March 22nd.......well, as she was in the process of cleaning out her Sentra for me to drive (icky) I got to drive the new baby mobile to work! On Saturday, I came up to an incline and WHAMM!!! Misfire-like issues ensue..So, turns out coilpack on cylinder 3........Warranty and roadside assistance covered it, but really, how much of a pain in the ass are the coilpacks gonna be on a 2003 1.8t Passat??

TIA
There needs to be another class action lawsuit against VW to get money back for coilpack repairs. I just got one of the coilpacks repaired a while ago, and this morning, my car hesitated when starting and I could tell it's one of the coils. VW fixed one of the coils when my car was under warranty with the original owner. Since VW didn't have enough coils to change all the coils on ever car, they only fixed ones that failed. Well, those other coils that weren't/aren't replaced are going to go any day. I'm thinking about calling VW and having them pay for the coil that was just replaced a month ago and perhaps ask them to replace any of the original coils that are left.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Your best bet is to replace the coil packs with the Hitachi ones which are available from the dealer for about $40 each, part number 06B905115E. Do not get the aftermarket one as they are total crap (trust me). These coils are straight p-n-p and they don't blow up as the Bremi ones. Also check ECS as they are selling the same coils.
I hope Hitachi's coil packs are better than their tvs.
Don't Pioneer, Fujitsu, B&O, or Runco make any coil packs:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts