Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone here at clubB5

I'm new here in the b5 community, so I just have a few questions which might sound stupid, but im not quite sure.

In a few week's I'll have my first car, a passat 1.8, quite excited.

I'm definately looking to "soup it up" in terms of visual and performance mods. My questions are;

1. I have been hearing good things about GIAC chips for audis and vws. First of all, how much are they (with currency) and are they worth it? (eg. boosts the car from 170 hp to how many? etc)

2. Does anyone know of a good site to which I could go to to get pricing and information on mods for b5s including body kits, spoilers, intakes and such?

3. Lastly, due to the fact that the car is automatic, what are the restrictions to modifications?

Thanks for your time everyone, when the car comes Ill post some pictures and my experiences with it!

Hope everyone had a good long weekend

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
check out AWEtuning.com
they have both the engine chip and the "tip" chip you'll want to invest infor sharper shifting and such. yes they're worth it also.

welcome to the club

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
welcome to the club. dont forget to read the into for noobs. The only limit from the automatic vs the tip is the automatic has some shifting gears lag, which can be solvded by a tip chip, but doesn't go completly away. other than that, your mod list will be endless. You can do some ridiculous things to the 1.8t, have fun w/ it

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
The awetuning site helps quiiite a bit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wicked I quite enjoy this community...lots of quick help and nice people

I'll be able to help out nubs like me some day too :shock:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol thanks RAH

Actually I'm only 16 (well 17 soon) so its not all my choosing, but it is a black passat 2001 with silver trimming around the windows, custom rims.....and thats it haha I hope to extend the list when I can!

I am loving the votex kit....damn American pricing though I never understand the actual prices....anybody estimate the CDN price of a full votex?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey, where in Ontario are you?

I am in Ottawa.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Welcome to Club :b5: :drink:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Welcome. I am not that older (19)... You lucky having such a nice car at 17! And black is a sweet color. THe second nicest, after silver (my B5 :))...
Mods for the passat are expensive though but slowly you will get there, just like me.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
welcome to the club, another Canadian :thumbup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
For web sites, I would go to your local book store and pick up the next issue of EuroTuner or European Car, They both have websites in them. ABDracing.com. They have a boost controller for the 1.8t, that way you arent running max boost all the time. Saves wear on turbo. Good Luck! Welcome to B5 :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts