Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unionleader.com said:
Former Sen. John Edwards is to spend an hour at the Manchester Barnes & Noble tonight promoting his new book. We find his choice of venue very interesting.

In Manchester, the local Wal-Mart store sits right behind the Barnes & Noble. It has more floor space, a parking lot several times the size of Barnes & Noble's, and is easier to access by car or public transportation.

But Edwards would not be caught dead inside a Wal-Mart. Saying that the company pays its employees too little, Edwards has embarked on an anti-Wal-Mart crusade. He instructs his staff members and all Americans not to shop at Wal-Mart.

"Wal-Mart makes plenty of money. They need to pay their people well," Edwards said at a Pittsburgh anti-Wal-Mart rally in August.

So naturally Edwards is holding his book signing at Barnes & Noble instead of Wal-Mart. Which is too bad for his anti-low-wages campaign, because in Manchester Wal-Mart pays hourly employees more than Barnes & Noble does.

The Barnes & Noble where Edwards will hawk his book pays $7 an hour to start. The Wal-Mart that sits just yards away pays $7.50 an hour.

Oh, the humanity!

From 7 to 8 p.m., Edwards will bring business to a retailer that pays wages he thinks are so immorally low that they should be illegal. Meanwhile, right behind him, thousands of Granite Staters will be supporting a business that pays an Edwards-approved starting wage, but which Edwards wants everyone to boycott.

Asked back in January what he thought would be an appropriate minimum wage, Edwards told The New York Times, "My view is it should be $7.50 an hour, and I can make a great argument for it being a lot higher than that."
You just can't make this stuff up!:lol:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I bet Edwards real point is the 9,999,999,998 other Wal-Mart stores that pay their employees $5.15 an hour and the 9,998 other Barnes and Noble stores that pay more than $5.15 an hour.

I'd also bet that the 50-cent difference between the two stores wasn't his determining factor on where to hold his book signing. Low employee pay and benefits (which is a problem, who is arguing with that?) are only the icing on the cake of why I personally don't shop at Wal-Mart... unless it is 2am and nothing else is open. But does that even count?

You can't make THIS stuff up: http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/ So what, Edwards has a book signing at a BOOK STORE rather than an everything-in-the-world-you-could-ever-need store. Is that news?

Just some friendly rivalry :)

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
He has a book? What could he possibly write about? How to become a millionaire trial lawyer by forcing legal companies to redistribute their earnings? Which is more sad, the fact that he wrote the book or that someone might actually buy it?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really the point of my post, but Wal-Mart's average hourly rate for full-time employees is $9.68 and for all employees is $8.00. Doesn't sound like $5.15 to me.

My point was that you would think that after all the crap the Edwards said about wages, he wouldn't go to a place that pays less than he was ripping Wal-Mart for. Pretty stupid mistake.:crazy:

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
...and the blame foole does not realize that 97 percent of his likely constituents (should he decide to run as VP) shop at WalMart. :rolleye:

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't add the story about the campaign volunteer that tried to get him a PS3 at Walmart ahead of the line.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Maybe because, after ripping WalMart, they won't carry his book any more than they'd would carry Sheryl Crow's CD? ("with a gun that he bought at a discount WalMart store" got Sheryl's CD banned at Wallyworld)

And Mac is right, better to have a book signing at a real book store, even if it is a monster chain store.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
hey, this is fun, lets all post meaningless partisan opinion pieces that would have something negative to say about the other party no matter what had happened. Really think it would be all rosey if he had done the book signing at WalMart? Seems to me that making stuff up is exactly what this author did - the entire article is based on one short quote that had nothing to do with the premise

Sorry to interrupt your GOP circle jerk - carry on!

·
Registered
311 Posts
hey, this is fun, lets all post meaningless partisan opinion pieces that would have something negative to say about the other party no matter what had happened. Really think it would be all rosey if he had done the book signing at WalMart? Seems to me that making stuff up is exactly what this author did - the entire article is based on one short quote that had nothing to do with the premise

Sorry to interrupt your GOP circle jerk - carry on!
Agreed

Plus if he is promoting a book, wouldn't a bookstore be the appropriate venue

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to know that Edwards can put away his "priniciples" to make a few bucks, right? You telling me there are no "living wage" book stores that he could sign at? Maybe he could have mentioned, while he was reaping the benefits, that the store he was signing at was destroying the american middle class, just like Wally World!

Hey Macabre, why get so upset when pointing out an obvious contradiction between a politicians words and actions. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it wasn't. It's not like other politicians' contadiction haven't been major food for the BH. Boo-Hoo!:lol:

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Nice to know that Edwards can put away his "priniciples" to make a few bucks, right? You telling me there are no "living wage" book stores that he could sign at?
Guess what, THERE PROBABLY AREN'T. Borders has bought Walden/Dalton, that leaves them, Books A Million and Barnes & Noble as the big chains. One of the local Waldens sells mostly remaindered hardbacks at discount (Marley & Me for $7 hardcover! Dune for $5!), and there's a chain of bookstores that sell only remaindered books (it was one of my stops every time I drove I-79 past Flatwoods, for those who know, but I can't remember the name of the store) that just declared bankruptcy and is going out of business. In our town there's ONE locally owned bookstore, downtown, which has made it mostly as a place for cool folks to hang out downtown. (coffee, books, chocolates and live music on weekends) The employees are all college students, hippies and folks who want a cool job for a low wage (as opposed to a crappy job for better pay).

What, people read books? There's consolidation in the book selling industry. They're attracting kid customers by hosting Saturday trading card games (Magic, Pokemon) or even D&D games. To be honest, anything edwards (OR YOU) can do to help promote book buying and reading is a Good Thing.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
...In our town there's ONE locally owned bookstore, downtown, which has made it mostly as a place for cool folks to hang out downtown. (coffee, books, chocolates and live music on weekends) The employees are all college students, hippies and folks who want a cool job for a low wage (as opposed to a crappy job for better pay)...
Hanging out in or have a job at a bookstore is considered "cool"? Huh. Guess things are a bit different in West Virginia. :poke:

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
LOL it makes you a member of the intelligentsia.

Better than hanging out at the mall.

Edit: I have to admit, I wouldn't mind working at a library, as long as I didn't actually have to reshelve after I read.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest, anything edwards (OR YOU) can do to help promote book buying and reading is a Good Thing.
Only one thing, he wasn't promoting book buying and reading, he was promoting him making money. And on the back of the poor, who were only making $7 bucks. They probably can't even afford his book.

BTW..just for you I going to promote book reading......ATTENTION class, Harvey wants you to read the section on specific heat and thermal conductivity tonight. Enjoy! :lol:

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talk about making money on the backs of the poor, have you looked at what taxpayers are paying for those science textbooks in your class? :poke:
I hear ya! I think mine is around $54.00 dollars. You want to know what is worse, I don't even use it. I have my own materials that are much better. Some of what is in those textbook is down right garbage. The district says I have to give each student one, so I do. I make them take it home and put it on a bookshelf until the end of the year.:lol:

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
$54!!! My daughter got her Calculus book (high school AP, A-B class) stolen last year, I had to pony up $110!! We even looked for it used, and could only have saved $10!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Edwards is an opportunistic hypocrite. The new-age Ted Kennedy, if you will. I won't be surprised if he is the next president, or Obama. Figureheads have their place.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Of course he is going to promote his book at a book store... How often do writers NOT promote at book stores? A poor attempt by "unionleader" to take a jab at Edwards.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of course he is going to promote his book at a book store... How often do writers NOT promote at book stores? A poor attempt by "unionleader" to take a jab at Edwards.
How often do said writers make "low paying" retailers part of their current campaign for the presidency, then use those same type of retailers to push promote those views and make money? While not really a big deal, pretty stupid mistake and an effective point made by the Union Leader. If he is going to make the statements that he has been making he had better do a better job of not stepping in the poop like he did on this one. It makes him look silly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts