Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably my last post here, but I think this review is dead nuts on. It isn't a STI/EVO killer, nor was intended to be. A snip:

For a car that was never intended to be sold in the U.S. market, the Volkswagen R32 sure is a perfect fit for it. Combining a powerful V6 power plant, pavement-grabbing all-wheel drive and stylish European looks, the R32 is not only the all-conquering Golf that VW enthusiasts have been waiting for, it's also a well-rounded package that any performance-minded driver will find attractive.
Edmunds R32 Review

So feel free to post the over-priced GTI, dead road feel, not worth 30K (I paid 28.5K), STI/EVO rules, aging platform comments. For me, this car is the perfect balance between performance and luxury.

No one is making you buy one, and let me know when you purchase a competing vehicle. I am stunned at the snobbish anti-R32 sentiment here. I thought that most were true enthusiast's, and for this 6' 4" enthusiast, this car is a dream. It is the perfect balance of solid German engineering, performance, luxury, and outstanding handling. Does it have faults; yes, as in any car, even Subaru's.

Mac, don't bother post. I know what you are going to say :D

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Well, I like the R32. I agree that people here can get off on sackriding the 1.8T Passat as the "BESTEST CAR EVAR!!!!" but the R32 is a damn fine car for the market it was intended for. My only complaint is that they didn't make DSG an option for the US.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
screeech1 said:
passaturbonium said:
I love R32....
I too love the R32, so I bought one :) Is a good review of the car, I was just wondering who was the sack that couldnt do better than 7 secs to 60 in it :crazy:
not to be a stickler for details but this is an exact quote from that article
"An impromptu test session turned in a best 0-to-60 time of about 7 seconds flat"

·
Registered
479 Posts
jwil said:
My only complaint is that they didn't make DSG an option for the US.
Same here. I was actually on a waiting list to buy one, but gave up when it became clear there would not be a DSG option. I do too much of my driving in heavy stop-and-go traffic and didn't want a manual transmission.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Z28Driver said:
screeech1 said:
passaturbonium said:
I love R32....
I too love the R32, so I bought one :) Is a good review of the car, I was just wondering who was the sack that couldnt do better than 7 secs to 60 in it :crazy:
not to be a stickler for details but this is an exact quote from that article
"An impromptu test session turned in a best 0-to-60 time of about 7 seconds flat"
eh... not clear on your point? They said a 0-60 time was turned in at 7 seconds flat and Im calling the driver a sack for that time. It's that simple. Maybe your reading a little too much into my statement. :wink:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wish I were you. I want an R32 bad, but not bad enough to go into more debt. What color did you get? There is a red one at the local dealer that I had to go check out. A very nice solid car. I didn't drive it. That's probably why I haven't gotten one yet.

I drove a friend's 2000 Subaru Legacy this week and that cured me from even considering the WRX. It felt like a tin can. I seemed like there were missing trim parts. Yes, I'm partial to VWs. I have never owned anything else. My Passat is my seventh VW. I like the solid feel and I haven't had any nightmare experiences like some have. Well... except the Corrado. So I will stick with VW, or Audi if I get rich.

Have fun with your R32. Hopefully I will get the R experience in the not too distant furure.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Took my car in for a brake problem this afternoon, and couldn't believe my eyes. A shiny new red R32 was squatting in the middle of the show room, along with a sexy dark blue A8L, silver 911 limeted edition, and to top it all off, an A4 ultra sport and a new S4!!! talk about making a messing your pants in a hurry! :shock:

The only car I actually sat in though was the R32, and it felt as good as it looked. the seats, the wheels, the exhaust... drool.... almost convinced the salesman for a joy ride :D but felt that I'd be too tempted to ditch the "family car" for something more sporty... gotta say, if I had the money burning in my pocket, i wouldn't think twice about taking this german lady into my home

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
according to the dealer here, every vw dealer is getting ONE R32.....once it gets here, we're going for a ride, hehehe and he can't go back on it either...he pinky swore :p

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
baisee00 said:
according to the dealer here, every vw dealer is getting ONE R32.....once it gets here, we're going for a ride, hehehe and he can't go back on it either...he pinky swore :p
my dealer got 4 - two were pre-sold, and two for the lot (one of which was a cancelled order).

·
Registered
455 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Finally an article that describes the R32's mission to the T... :thumbup:
Right on, its nice to see that there are people other than R32 owners that understand the car wasn't built for only 2 reasons, 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. :thumbup:

@Icantdrive65: My R32 is Tornado Red.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
I would love an R32 with DSG and 4 doors. Then again,the kids are almost out of
the house and my wife would never drive it! Now I just need to get them out of
college to afford one.
The Subie is a great car for what it is,so is the R32.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
All I know is I went to my dealer a couple of weeks ago and looked at a black one for almost an hour. It got to the point where I was trying to figure a way to keep the 8 and get the R. :crazy:

Thankfully the salesman I know walked away from me giving me the chance to leave before I might have went for it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
20vvillian said:

I dare you to even find someting not to like!
Unfortunately, I found something!

The US - Bound R32's don't get the HID projectors and headlight washers shown in that Euro R32 pic.... :suspicio: :(

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I drove the R32 yesterday. :bow: All I can say is WOW! I've driven fast cars before of all kinds, Vettes, 911, etc., but this is the first car to make me feel that tingle inside.

I would trade the Passat on it in a flash, if I felt like more debt.

Instead it looks like the A4 will go and a 1.8T GTi will take it's place.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I LOVE the R32! Its such a nice car. Forget Subaru, VW and subaru don't even compare in terms of the interior design. Plush interiors, all the ammenities, and a car that still pulls a sub 7 0-60 and has plenty of grip and road feel. I am a die hard VW owner, and I always will be. Like stated above, there is more to driving than 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile :roll:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts