Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bundle from them in June (Flik artics) and now most of my bolts for the wheels have rusted. I sent them an email and after a week of not hearing back from them I decided to call to solve the issue. The sales rep transfered me to someone and he told me that it was not rust, it was because of the brakes :???: and would not send me new bolts :mad: He said that what I should do is take them off and use a grill bursh to take the "brake deposit" off of them. So what he is telling me is that every couple of months I should take the bolts off and have at it w/ a grill brush? I don't think so. Does anyone else know were I can get replacement bolts for the Flik's because I am never giving Edge Racing anymore of my business :evil:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Here's what you can do.. Spray the bolts with WD40 and wipe them down very well with an old terry-cloth. The WD40 should clean the bolts..

I normally put some Anti-Seize compound on the bolts before installing them. This will prevent rusting..

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
and if it is brake dust on the lugs, it's just going to happen again with new lugs. Maybe you should see if they come clean atleast once before you buy new ones.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guy's but it didn't do anything when I tried to remove it. There is no way possible that this is just from the brakes. The guy at edge told me that these were stainless steel bolts but there is no way in hell that they are. This is just pure rust.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
atomicalex said:
Why don't you post a pic for us?

I stare at metal bits quite a bit for work, I'd be glad to take a look at a pic of the bolts and give you a bit more of an opinion.
Ok dude. Will post them later.
Thanks

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Uhm...Kathy isn't a dude.

Lugs rust, that's pretty common. My original factory lugs rusted too, maybe we should file a class action suit against lug bolt makers. It's a conspiracy!

Or maybe you should just buy some anti-seize. :suspicio:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jwil said:
Uhm...Kathy isn't a dude.

Lugs rust, that's pretty common. My original factory lugs rusted too, maybe we should file a class action suit against lug bolt makers. It's a conspiracy!

Or maybe you should just buy some anti-seize. :suspicio:
My bad Kathy :D
I have not ever had this happen to stainless steel lugs before...thats why I'm asking.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well imagestation is under reconstruction at the moment so I will post them as soon as it is up and running again.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
TX-B5.5 said:
Are you mocking me :lol:
In a couple of hours I'll show you how mine have turned out.
I agree that their customer service sucks, but just keep hounding them. Honestly, I keep recommending them, if only for the price. No one comes close for a 15.5lb 17" rim, and mine have held up great to KC potholes and such.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MikekiM said:
Get real lug bolts.
RAD lug bolts (and locks) from purems.com are dacromet coated. Same coating that Mercedes requires for all their lug bolts to prevent rusting.

http://www.dacromet.com/ for more info.
Yea I know. Got some locking one's from Discount tire today because I still have not gotten edge to do anything.
BTW you are Mike at pure motorsport right? Thanks for the good price on the suspension (vogtland springs and Koni shocks) I'm getting them installed on Sat :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Loosle
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing