Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to swap ECU's in an 1.8T '02 granted the part numbers match or will I have problems with the immobilizer and keys working?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You'll probably have problems with immobilizers that you'd probably need a VAG-COM to overcome.

Are the cars identical? If not, you'll probably have to recode the new ECU for tranny and various other options.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Since the 02's have the new immobilizer, you won't be able to just swap. You will need to match the ECU with the instrument cluster using an SKC that can only be obtained from the dealer. Once you have that SKC, you can use the vag-com or have the dealer do it.

Here are instructions on how to do it with the Vag-Com:

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-ecu-swapping.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm going to have to pick up a Vag-com. I'm planning on buying a used ECU from another B5 member. I just wanted to check before I committed.

Any idea if the dealer will give me a hard time about the SKC and WSC numbers? This is the same dealer that told me that only "they" could code a new key.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Any idea if the dealer will give me a hard time about the SKC and WSC numbers?
I wonder the same thing. Why would a Dealer provide you with all this information? Wouldn't it be easier for him to say bring in the new ECU and we'll install it for you at the measley price of $$$? Just my past experience with Dealers is that they'll help you as little as possible for the most $$$ possible.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a spare for my '02 that I'm going to attempt swapping this summer. Got a deal of $70 in the classifieds that I couldn't pass up. Most of the time I see these at car-parts for around $150-$250.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spare for my '02 that I'm going to attempt swapping this summer. Got a deal of $70 in the classifieds that I couldn't pass up. Most of the time I see these at car-parts for around $150-$250.
That's an awsome price. Someone is trying to sell theirs to me for $300. Now you're making me wonder if I'm getting ripped off.

So has anyone got this info from their dealer??

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well look around the net a bit more.... and check the upgrades section of TDICLUB.com

There used to be a list floating around of all the workshop codes and import numbers based on your port and dealer.

Sorry I dont remember where I saw it exactly. ( :puke: for brains.)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'm 0 for 3 in getting dealers to either give me the SKU, or install it themselves. 2 of the 3 have claimed it's not even possible. in one case I put a $100 bill on the counter and said they could have it if i could drive the car off the lot with the other ECU. I walked with my money. :mad: :crazy:

I hate to say it, but save yourself the trouble, and just send your stock ECU to your tuner to get chipped.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is getting trick fast. A second ECU for $300 doesn't seem like that great of a deal anymore.

Jimbob, how far are you from LA. If I find one, do you want me to let you know?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I only paid $165 for mine. $300 is too much. Use car-part.com (NOTE NOT parts) and search the inventory of junkyards. I was able to get an SKC, but it helps to have connections. Try the vag-com forum.

Importer code is 444 for the US BTW.

WSC is just your dealer code minus the first digit. If you have an invoice for any service it will be on there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I think the hunt is on.

Are there any dealers that are loyal to Club :b5: that may help? I know Liberty VW is a sponser and they do some great things for the members here.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Use car-part.com
Anyone interested - I searched for a 98 1.8T and about half way down:

1998 Engine Computer Volkswagen Passat :) :) :) CHIPPED :) :) :)
8D0 907 558M
Call Austin Veedub, Inc. USA-TX(Austin) 1-800-282-3119

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
bump.
I've got my ECU, I found one for about 150 in the classifieds. I've Vag'ed it and cleared the codes, and changed other settings in it, but it won't start the car until the immobilizer is setup right.

My next move is to call Capistrano and see if they will help me. I've been just too busy lately to call them and see if they can help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jimbob said:
bump.
I've got my ECU, I found one for about 150 in the classifieds. I've Vag'ed it and cleared the codes, and changed other settings in it, but it won't start the car until the immobilizer is setup right.

My next move is to call Capistrano and see if they will help me. I've been just too busy lately to call them and see if they can help.
Who is Capistrano?

Do you know where to pick up a Vag-com. They want $299 for a new one.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Capistrano VW is one of Clubb5 sponsors, and is located south of you and north of me in San Juan Capistrano, right off the 5. Check out the top of this page for their ad, which contains their phone number. they are supposedly Mod friendly, and are my last best bet for getting my spare ECU installed.

they also sponsor some of the Socal GtG's. :bow: :thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jimbob said:
Capistrano VW is one of Clubb5 sponsors, and is located south of you and north of me in San Juan Capistrano, right off the 5. Check out the top of this page for their ad, which contains their phone number. they are supposedly Mod friendly, and are my last best bet for getting my spare ECU installed.

they also sponsor some of the Socal GtG's. :bow: :thumbup:
Let me know how you make out. I'm on the fence.

Should I wait till the warrenty runs out and chip the original ECU or invest the money in a Vag-com and spare ECU?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a way to hack the codes or figure out the code generator.

It's got to be something basic. It's not like we are dealing with a firewall or a complex server.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Keep trying. You should be able to find someone to help you.

Tip: If you search the CB5/vwvortex classifieds or regular forums, you should find CB5/vwvortex members who work at VW dealers. You could ask one of them to help. (A private message to them would be the best bet.)

dj_aero said:
Is there a way to hack the codes or figure out the code generator. It's not like we are dealing with a firewall or a complex server.
Wellllllllll, actually it's a lot like a firewall or a complex server.

It's only 7 numbers, but 5 different pieces of information are used to derive them: importer code, workshop code, immobilizer ID, vehicle ID and the date the code was generated. You would need to know the exact encryption process VW uses to derive SKCs.

Fine, there are other ways. For instance, one might decide to simply try all 10,000,000 combinations. :wink:

Gotcha! If you enter an incorrect code 3 times, then the car won't let you try again for another 10 minutes (and the ignition has to be on all that time). Enter another 3 incorrect codes, and you get locked out again, this time for twice as long: 20 minutes. The car continues locking you out and doubling the time, until you have to wait 255 minutes between attempts (again, with the ignition on during the wait).

It would take years to cycle through all the codes. Over 1000 years. Maybe you'll get the code in the first 1%. That would only take 10 years. :wink:

Don't let the movies give you the wrong idea: computer crackers generally don't use magic programs that spin numbers till they get in. Usually, crackers obtain passwords through more ordinary methods: like calling up a user and posing as system support and then asking his password, or stealing passwords from another already-compromised system, or going in through a security hole in the system (what poor Microsoft gets so much grief about).

So --- one could reverse-engineer the encryption process VW uses to derive the SKCs (difficult), or one could use brute force and try all possible SKCs (impossibly long time involved), or one could locate the engineers in Germany who know the encryption process and bribe them to tell it to you(unlikely, but this is more like what a cracker would do), or one could through some miracle obtain the computer system that a VW dealer uses to generate the SKCs (again, unlikely, but more like what a cracker would do).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts