Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Passat 1.8T, 1997, green Speedo.

Just bought a second ECU (exactly same number) to fit a tuning chip.
Just wondering what has to be done to get the engine immobilizer to work with the new ECU (second hand)?

I have VAG-COM

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Karsten

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
When I swapped my ECU in my '99 1.8T for one with an APR chip I didn't have to do anything to get around the immobilizer. Just connected it, turned the key to "run" without starting and let it sit for a few minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats intresting,

on the German page thay say you have to reprogram the Speedo (keeps the immobilizer Data).

I guess I will try when I get my ECU in two weeks.

Thanks

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
I did an ECU swap 2 years ago, no need to do anything with the immobilizer. In fact, if I remember correctly the immobilizer was not included on the earlier models (again I think I remember reading this somewhere on here). Anyway, the swap took 5 minutes to do and then the only "programming" needed was to do the throttle body reset because I had the battery disconnected during the swap.

·
Registered
154 Posts
APR Chip swap?

This old thread is pretty close to the question I have:

I would like to sell my APR chipped ECU from my "03 Passat. Is a swap with another "03 possible? My lease is ending and I would like to get something for this great chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
694 Posts
'03s have an immobilizer and the new ECU would have to be reprogrammed to accept the immobilizer chip in each of your current keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts