Soft coding:04001
Shop#wsc 00001

Error-p1612-ecu wrongly coded

Kindly help me recode the above to auto transmission

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Tim,
Did you manage to do this? I find myself in the same dilemma. How to recode from manual to auto transmission (with tip). If so please share the solution. Thanks.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,293 Posts
Some info in here on how to do it with VCDS. not sure how you can with any other program/interface.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks, VAGguy, that was definitely so helpful. I want to do this on my AWT which is AUTO with tip but the ECU was stolen. Gotten the ECU part number on eBay but the owner says his car was manual, so I am guessing it should work. I am wondering though; is there differentiation in VCDS between 5-speed auto w/o tip and 5-speed auto with tip?
1. I saw in earlier versions there was a configuration for 5 sp with tip, and a different code for 5sp w/o tip (or was this for Audi only)?
2. Do you know from which year (or engine) the transmission specific ECUs were manufactured?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,293 Posts
I can only speak for US models, but here, we never had 5-speed auto without Tiptronic in the B5/B5.5.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My problems continue; after seeing on VCDS 11 that there was the configuration for 5 sp w or w/o I thought that this was a possibility. I guess I can separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak after I replace the APU ECU with an AWT ECU. With the replaced ECU (the APU one) my tip is off, no signs of life at all; but the auto runs just fine. I am thinking it's something to do with the programming when the ECUs were swapped or maybe APU ECUs did not have an option for the tip, :rolleyes: but I don't know.
*2. Do you know from which year (or engine) the transmission specific ECUs were manufactured? - any ideas about this, there doesn't appear to be info on this in the forums when I search.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I have no idea what specifications were made for cars in your country, but here in the states the early model (B5) ECU or ECM (one in the same) could be recoded.
I'm can only assume VW used the same format throughout it's other foreign country market models.

It is my understanding that the later years (B5.5) used a transmission specific ECU.
The ECU may have the option to code for Auto trans or MAN trans but the ECU communicates to the TCM in a different manner on the later models.
You'll only have a TCM if your car is automatic.

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
I don't know anything about the AWT or APU engines,
but if you connect VCDS it should list the available options for what is in the car.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,293 Posts
I have no idea what specifications were made for cars in your country, but here in the states the early model (B5) ECU or ECM (one in the same) could be recoded.
I'm can only assume VW used the same format throughout it's other foreign country market models.

It is my understanding that the later years (B5.5) used a transmission specific ECU.
The ECU may have the option to code for Auto trans or MAN trans but the ECU communicates to the TCM in a different manner on the later models.
You'll only have a TCM if your car is automatic.
You can recode any model year B5/B5.5 ECU to manual. I have an 04 and it took just a couple of minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
You can recode any model year B5/B5.5 ECU to manual. I have an 04 and it took just a couple of minutes.

I agree with you 100%
But I'm not sure about going to a manual to automatic.
Obviously if you can code it to manual you can code it to automatic. I read somewhere sometime ago from someone here (that's definitive) there were differences in how the ECU communicates to the TCM, hence the issue.
I'll be honest I'm not speaking from experience on this, just going from what I read sometime ago.

That's why I posted "it's my understanding..."

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Now I have to go find this old thread, it's bugging me.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,293 Posts
Per ETKA, the only differentiation between the ECU part #s on the B5.5 were VIN ranges. Not whether FWD, AWD, or Manual, Auto.

I can’t find the B5 ones right now. Checking.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Like I said earlier, my experience on this is not first hand. My level of knowledge on the electrical inter workings of the Passat is marginal at best. My area is on the mechanical side..
I trust what your saying without a doubt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Tim,
Did you manage to do this? I find myself in the same dilemma. How to recode from manual to auto transmission (with tip). If so please share the solution. Thanks.
Sorry just seen the message. Did you manage to code? If not give me the specifics of your car i will you the code its intended to use. And you must have a vcds cable..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My problems continue; after seeing on VCDS 11 that there was the configuration for 5 sp w or w/o I thought that this was a possibility. I guess I can separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak after I replace the APU ECU with an AWT ECU. With the replaced ECU (the APU one) my tip is off, no signs of life at all; but the auto runs just fine. I am thinking it's something to do with the programming when the ECUs were swapped or maybe APU ECUs did not have an option for the tip, :rolleyes: but I don't know.
*2. Do you know from which year (or engine) the transmission specific ECUs were manufactured? - any ideas about this, there doesn't appear to be info on this in the forums when I search.
I had an APU car.. It had triptronic.. Why would you change to a different ecu? Now you have to look or google and change to the corresponding tcu for that specific ecu.. It would have been easier to get your orginal ecu and just recode it.. The ecu + tcu + abs module have to match as per the manufacturer.. One break in communication and the car wont run 100 percent. If your still having issues post your logs here.. We try and help you but try look for your original ecu using the original part number

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry just seen the message. Did you manage to code? If not give me the specifics of your car i will you the code its intended to use. And you must have a vcds cable..
No I haven't managed to code. The car is an AWT engine...2002 model

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an APU car.. It had triptronic.. Why would you change to a different ecu? Now you have to look or google and change to the corresponding tcu for that specific ecu.. It would have been easier to get your orginal ecu and just recode it.. The ecu + tcu + abs module have to match as per the manufacturer.. One break in communication and the car wont run 100 percent. If your still having issues post your logs here.. We try and help you but try look for your original ecu using the original part number
Tim my car has an AWT engine. The ECU is an APU ECU, so they don't match. I suspect that's the reason a lot of things aren't going right methinks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look for awt ecu.. But that will open a pandoras box for you to look for its matching tcu..kindly post errors your observing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts