Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought a B5.5 1.8t (AWM engine) 4motion stickshift a few weeks ago as a non runner 110k miles, got it running by buying a ecu from ebay with immobilizer override, they said as long as the part numbers were the same, everything would be fine. Well it's not. The one I bought is looking for an automatic transmission that isn't there because mine's stick. I had 13 codes at first now got it down to 4 codes (dtc's) Most of the codes where 2aip related.) So this is my problem, I've got code P1626 because the trans deal and since automatics came with a different brake system I'm getting two brake codes P1912 and P1429 which are causing my brake system and abs to not function properly. Yes abs is on with brake light flashing. This is my question: If someone has a vag.com would they be able to fix this problem? As in code or program my ecu for a manual and for the right braking system? Someone who lives local to me has offered to help but doesn't know if this can be done with a vagcom, he has one... so can it? Or do I need to send it off to be reprogrammed or what? What do I do now? Thanks in advance for any and all help. If it wasn't for a couple of you guys I wouldn't have gotten this far. Thank you for that!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,317 Posts
I can be done with VCDS. I did it to mine (with help). I’ll see if I can dig up the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Yes, the ECU should be able to be re-coded with vagcom. The ECU has to be coded, then check if the ABS module will also need to be coded.

This is the easy to follow instructions:

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can be done with VCDS. I did it to mine (with help). I’ll see if I can dig up the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! Any help is much appreciated! I have no idea how any of this really works with the exception of what a couple of kind members from this forum have explained to me so it's all new and being someone who has hfa, new things aren't easy for me.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,317 Posts
Thanks so much! Any help is much appreciated! I have no idea how any of this really works with the exception of what a couple of kind members from this forum have explained to me so it's all new and being someone who has hfa, new things aren't easy for me.
PZ beat me to it with his links.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the ECU should be able to be re-coded with vagcom. The ECU has to be coded, then check if the ABS module will also need to be coded.

This is the easy to follow instructions:
Thank you PZ! Just read through and found (hopefully lol) exactly what I needed!!

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
My nephew has ADHD and I suspect is HFA. My younger brother may be and I suspect we all got it through my Dad, who my uncle said "he was the smartest person in the room, but could never put it to use." He had no mechanical ability, I was lucky enough to get that from my Mom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My nephew has ADHD and I suspect is HFA. My younger brother may be and I suspect we all got it through my Dad, who my uncle said "he was the smartest person in the room, but could never put it to use." He had no mechanical ability, I was lucky enough to get that from my Mom.
Oh wow is the familiar, that's kinda how it is for me and my siblings but I think ours came from my moms side. My father (who abandoned us young), I didn't learn squat from. However he is very mechanically inclined so I suspect my little bit of ability to work on cars came from him.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I helped Will re-code the ECM yesterday. The ECM was coded 16551, and we changed it to 16701 (will correct me if I'm wrong here) I wasn't real sure whether to choose a 2 of 7 for the middle digit. I figured if nothing catastrophic had happened with it coded as a FWD with ASR, it would be OK as an AWD with ASR. Maybe someone can clear that up for me.

I looked at the coding page for the ABS, but there is a note saying coding of a 4motion is not possible. I've tried to attach the pages from my Bentley.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you're right about this Mike. So are they basically saying that I do have "ESP" which is stability control and keeps your car from sliding in an unintended direction like on ice or slick roads but that it doesn't have traction control to keep you from spinning wheels on take off? I figured they'd still would have put it on the awd models? You learn something new every day. I would have eventually found out if it snowed anyway. lol. Oh and while coding is "not possible" for awd models, it still can have the wrong coding in the ecu itself and be set up for a fwd auto like mine was which would make the system search for a brake system that isn't there. My brakes no longer drag my abs light is off as is the flashing brake light while driving. Question.. what is the thing in the gas tank on the driver side? I need a new seal for that.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
The ESP was optional on 2003+ models (standard on W8) I think. So if you don't have an ESP switch in the bottom left of the radio surround, you don't have it or ASR. I would go ahead and switch it to the 7 if that is the case.

Not sure about the ABS, I have not looked at mine in 4-5 years when I did the swap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ESP was optional on 2003+ models (standard on W8) I think. So if you don't have an ESP switch in the bottom left of the radio surround, you don't have it or ASR. I would go ahead and switch it to the 7 if that is the case.

Not sure about the ABS, I have not looked at mine in 4-5 years when I did the swap.
I have "ESP" and it's said button. lol. What does the 6 speed transmission come out of to replace the 5 speed?

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
The 6sp comes out of the B5 S4 or the C5 A6 2.7T. You need to confirm the matching rear differential as the 1.8T used a different ratio for the rear. In that case, you would need the C5 A6 rear differential or one out of a Passat V6 4Mo, but not all of those had the matching 4:11 ratio. The C5 Allroad used a different ratio (4:38) and might work better on a 1.8T but will rev higher on the highway as the 6th gear ratio is different too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts