Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
INACTIVE: ECU Flash | Speed Tuning USA | W8, 1.8t, V6

We're in the process of trying to fill up some spaces for a group buy. Only a few left, so to follow forum rules, I will say this will end 40 days from today, or sooner if all spots are filled.
Please do not contact me about getting on the list as I am not the one organizing this, see the link below and the contact info in the quote.

Payment will need to be done either in money order or cash to Speed Tuning USA, or some of us will PayPal Darren (the man coordinating this) and he will send one money order. With that said, I know some people get nervous about money orders, so please be aware of the potential "dangers" of that. I have verified with Oliver at Speed Tuning USA that this group buy is legit, and feel free to email him yourself if you want.

Darren: media[at]retouchcanada[dot]com
Oliver: info[at]speedtuningusa[dot]com

W8 $150 (normally $299)
1.8t and V6 $125 (normally $249)

PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK FOR ALL DETAILS!
W8 Speedtuning Chip Group Buy ROUND 3 - The W8 forum

DSutherland said:
I spoke with the good men over at Speed Tuning USA regarding a group buy and they are willing to offer us the same great discount they offered everyone in this group twice before.

I'm lazy so I'll copy, paste and modify certain details from the original threads:

So the scoop is as long as we get at least of 10 people committed and paid, he will discount the chip (as listed on the web site) from USD$299 all the way down to USD$150!

He (Oliver) can chip your ECU two ways:

Option 1) You can mail your ECU to him for the flash and he will overnight it back to you, or

Option 2) He will ship you a flash kit for self install, this would require a $500 deposit which is fully refundable.

Oliver has also offered to allow V6 & 1.8T owners to join in on this group buy. They would pay slightly less than us at $125 a pop.
For the group buy they ask that we pre-pay by money order or cash.

No CC or PayPal accepted in group buys. This is a direct quote from Oliver "Sorry, no cc or paypal, you are new to group buys, they have their own dynamics, I am talking out of experience…". With that said, for these kind of savings I'm still fine with a money order.

There have been plenty of members in this group who have flashed their W8's with these guys and the positive response is really great.

There are claims that this upgrade can get your W8 up to 296hp from 270hp - for just $150 that's pretty awesome.

For those interested you can reply to this forum (w8forum) or email me your details (as well as your account name on here to avoid confusion) to media[at]retouchcanada[dot]com.

So far here are the parties interested, I'll update the status of each member as it progresses:

(NOTE: SEE LINK BEFORE QUOTE FOR CURRENT LIST AND AVAILABILITY)
1. DSutherland - W8 Owner - w8forum
2. long_w8 W8 - Owner - w8forum
3. 02passatw8 - W8 Owner - w8forum
4. isukennedy - W8 Owner - w8forum
5. srdavis872 - W8 Owner - w8forum
6. fookie - 1.8T Owner - VWVortex
7. dublax44 - V6 Owner - VWVortex (expressed interest at this point)

Here's the old group buy threads:
Group Buy 1
Group Buy 2

About the company:

Website

W8 Dyno Graph

This company has been around longer than APR.

1996: Foundation of the company SpeedTuning® in Austria since 1998: Homebase Linz, Austria annual car show (i.e. Design Center Linz)

1999: Main distributor for SpeedBuster®/Germany for Austria.

2001: Foundation of SpeedTuning® USA, Spencerville, MD.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
I'm on this list for a local install. If anyone local is interested in joining me there, let me know and we can roll out there together. $125/$150 is a steal for this.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
guys, be careful on this one - there's NO WAY the V6 numbers are as published. I would also be careful re: the requirement for a money order - you have NO GUARANTEE WRT getting your money back if something is wrong.

that being said, go for it if you are local to them, as I am sure they will allow you to pay with a CC and have some kind of recourse if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys, be careful on this one - there's NO WAY the V6 numbers are as published. I would also be careful re: the requirement for a money order - you have NO GUARANTEE WRT getting your money back if something is wrong.

that being said, go for it if you are local to them, as I am sure they will allow you to pay with a CC and have some kind of recourse if something goes wrong.
Thanks for the warning. Speed Tuning's V6 tune only makes a couple more HP than, say, Unitronics, so I don't get how you think there's NO WAY what they have published is false. You can get on their website and email Oliver yourself if you'd like. Many W8 guys go with his tune and love it, feel free to look around other forums. Most people plan to paypal Darren (the guy coordinating the group buy) and then he will send on money order. So if you think about it, if everything falls through, we can still "dispute" it through paypal and the only one who would get burned is the guy coordinating it.

If you go in locally, I believe he will want cash, not cc (please don't announce false information saying they will take CC if you don't know for sure).

But once again, I do appreciate your desire to make sure no one gets screwed. I realize your a moderator and can shut down threads... But no need to call them liars and produce false info. But with that said, I will put a word of warning in the OP.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have that same flash on my ECU for about 5 or 6 years now done by Oliver and so far had no issues. Excellent tune for those that don't want to blow $500-600 on GIAC or APR... :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Notes on performance gains for the V6 from Neuspeed's P-chip may give some hint:
5-10 HP and 7-12 Ft-lbs gain.
91 Octane or higher fuel required!

I haven't seen specs from Speedtuning USA other than that 91-octane or higher is required (straight from Oliver)

·
Registered
188 Posts
To follow up.... I haven't seen anything else out there for the V6 so I'm still interested. Fuel mpg should increase a bit from what I've read and so much cheaper than the PES upgrade. Any other way to squeak more out of the V6?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please email Darren (who is coordinating everything) at media[at]retouchcanada[dot]com if you want to get in on this. Enough people have expressed interest, but only 6 have confirmed their info so far, so there's still room. Where else are you going to find this good of a tune for this good of a price?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Caved after finally finding old posts from other PW folks. Keyword searched was "Speedtuning" from the "Volkswagen Passat B5 Discussion" level so I'd get everything.

Darren, tired of searching. I'll try to get the spreadsheet info you need later today. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Guys, I got the V6 tune done a few years back, and I've been very happy with the results. I wrote a review that's floating around on the site here somewhere, but to recap: The HP gains are modest, but the torque gains are what really made me happy. Much better "off the line" response than before the tune. I also noticed the engine is much more open in the top end, and just sounds like it has more grunt than before. I would absolutely do it again. Oliver is a great guy, and he will take care of you and make it right.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One more thing to add, Oliver's place hasn't changed from soundguybob's description. However, I think Oliver shares the office space with the NAPA repair center (Cloverly Automotive). That being said, I remember many brilliant professors and engineers whose offices where like tornado zones. What matters is the service and product; I think the PW folk here have blessed the "back woods hole".

When driving Eastward through Spencerville, look on the right for the large slab of Granite in the front drive, the convenience store, then the smaller black sign with "SpeedtuningUSA" in red and white lettering. The driveway for the shop is between the Convenience store and the U-haul rentals. The driveway and sign are together, just before the small field of U-hauls and Used cars. (Remember, this is driving east.)

I drive by it daily and still have a hard time picking out the sign. The entry is as cluttered with signs and a bit overwhelming. Of course the beer sale signs on the Convenience store draw my attention every time. ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts