Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I probably should've come here first rather than dealing with VW's service advisors for the past few weeks.

They diagnosed that my ECU was faulty, and said it would cost ~$1300 to fix. So after some research on these forums, I figured I'd just buy a used one on Ebay with a matching part number and have them reprogram it.

Today I took that ECU to them and was told that after three tries, "it didn't work." They also said that about a year ago Volkswagen stopped the whole ECU reprogram thing. I called another VW dealer and was told I'd have to get a diagnosis and they could reprogram but if it didn't work I'd still have to pay and that they probably couldn't do anymore than the previous dealer.

So my question:
Am I really going to have to pay $1300 for a "new" ECU/ECM or should I keep calling around? I'd rather tow my car 100 miles and pay $115 for the reprogram than spend all that AND still need a timing belt :banghead:

I don't think VAG-COM would help because my car (2001.5 V6 Manual) is immo 3, and the car won't even get to the immobilize stage. Just cranks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service advisor said there were streaks or something on the inside.

We've concluded that it's the ECU by testing everything from what I thought was wrong (crank sensor) back to the ECU.

The GM at VW says that the crank sensor probably went out which took out the ECU with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I probably should've come here first rather than dealing with VW's service advisors for the past few weeks.

They diagnosed that my ECU was faulty, and said it would cost ~$1300 to fix. So after some research on these forums, I figured I'd just buy a used one on Ebay with a matching part number and have them reprogram it.

Today I took that ECU to them and was told that after three tries, "it didn't work." They also said that about a year ago Volkswagen stopped the whole ECU reprogram thing. I called another VW dealer and was told I'd have to get a diagnosis and they could reprogram but if it didn't work I'd still have to pay and that they probably couldn't do anymore than the previous dealer.

So my question:
Am I really going to have to pay $1300 for a "new" ECU/ECM or should I keep calling around? I'd rather tow my car 100 miles and pay $115 for the reprogram than spend all that AND still need a timing belt :banghead:

I don't think VAG-COM would help because my car (2001.5 V6 Manual) is immo 3, and the car won't even get to the immobilize stage. Just cranks.
I picked up a re-mapped ECU on eBay for my 2001 Passat, from a guy on eBay that sells em with the GIAC 93 octane software on them. It arrived, I took the old one out, new one in, started the car and have no issues for two months. I can give you his phone number if you want, he charged me $150. for the ECU with software, the software alone is $500.

He is a really easy guy to talk to, and works with you diligently to make everything go smoothly.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a re-mapped ECU on eBay for my 2001 Passat, from a guy on eBay that sells em with the GIAC 93 octane software on them. It arrived, I took the old one out, new one in, started the car and have no issues for two months. I can give you his phone number if you want, he charged me $150. for the ECU with software, the software alone is $500.

He is a really easy guy to talk to, and works with you diligently to make everything go smoothly

That'd be awesome. From what I've read, you may have a different immobilizer than me if the model is early 2001 (which would explain the plug-and-play ability). Either way, if this company it TX doesn't fix the ECU, I'd like to have a backup.

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS Manual 1.8L
37 Posts
Well, hold on... take a look at the forum "Reprograming a Replacement ECU" I found it very helpful because I may need to change a few things in relation to the speedometer and the size of my wheels

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
Well, hold on... take a look at the forum "Reprograming a Replacement ECU" I found it very helpful because I needed to change a few things in relation to the speedometer and the size of my wheels
If your advice was meant for the OP, I doubt they even have the car anymore. They haven't been back here since 2012.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
1 Posts

He is a really easy guy to talk to, and works with you diligently to make everything go smoothly.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I have a vw passat tdi, sent it to a ecm place, they said it could not be fixed,went to vw dealer, of coorse they want to charge the $1300 for a new one, bought a used one one live, but the dealer said ,he tried to program it, with no luck. a line of bullshit. They said they would have to have the original, to do anything else, is this true. can anyone program a used ecm to the vin # ? Thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
rjvc2021, start your own thread--this one is ancient, and not TDI specific.
Be sure to post the year and engine in your car, i.e. engine size and code if you have it, e.g. 1.8T AWM. Be sure you're in the right forum--this B5 forum is for model years 1998-2005.
Also, give some detail on what's wrong with your original ECM--they just don't fail often in these cars, and they're not a "plug and play" part, even a brand new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts