Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the deal with ECS Tuning? How are their prices so low? Are the parts new? Does anyone know if they guarentee their parts or anything? I'm looking to order their timing belt kit and my shop is somewhat reluctant to use outside parts because they said they cannot gaurentee the work etc etc. Is this a valid concern or are they just not wanting to loose money by me getting the parts independently?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
By all accounts, the parts from ECS are top quality. OE parts that are sold through the dealerships are always marked up sky high because they believe that they have a captive audience.

Nevertheless, it IS a bit presumptuous to assume that an indy will let you bring in your own parts. In so doing, you're cutting into the indy's margins. Indys mark up parts too. They're certainly within their rights to offer no warranty on parts they didn't provide.

My advice would be to let the indy provide the parts or DIY.

YMMV

Kenny

·
Registered
472 Posts
ECS Tuning is legit. I've ordered from them a number of times (filters and oil), and everything was just fine. I'll order other stuff from them in the future as well.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
the reason their prices are so low is because they go directly to the same manufacturer as VW to get their parts...Bosch, for example...ordering factory direct as a reseller and selling the parts sooo cheap will keep their business alive and they can charge whatever they want for install work at their shop to make it up...

all the parts are guaranteed, but they can't warranty the work if you DIY...i wouldn't either...

·
Registered
732 Posts
ECS Tuning. Good experiences so far for me. :) In general I'd say they're great for either in-warranty maint parts like oil, air filters and such, or for the DIY like me out of warranty. I want quality parts at a good price but am not concerned about the warranty. I am assuming the risk.

·
Banned
373 Posts
To a certain extent, ECS will warranty the physical part. Or I guess you could say they will interface with the manufacturer and honor the manufacturer's warranty. I replace all four of my UCAs last June. In January the rubber bushing in the upper left rear control arm failed catastrophically. ECS shipped me a new one and when I sent back the old they refunded the purchase of replacement.

Joe

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have ordered from them and give them thumbs-up too. They taped an oil-drain plug to the cabin air filter when they shipped parts to me and the filter got damaged during shipping. They let me return it and send me a new one without questions. I would definitely use them again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
They sent me the wrong cabin filter once, I cut up the one they sent me cause I wouldn't put that nasty old one back in. I called them up and they sent me a new 'right' one, I just paid shipping.

ECS is good, I'll continue purchasing products from them :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've ordered over $1000 in parts from ECS and they have been great from their parts to their order process to shipping and tracking. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey everyone,

quick question. it seems that most everyone suggests replacing tensioners and water pump etc. when doing the timing belt (basically everything on the timing belt kit). a shop I'm having it done at says they will "check to see if these things need replacing". shoudl i insist they be replaced?

thanks

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
You should insist that the tensioner be replaced. The water pump is a matter of opinion. At my mechanic's suggestion, I left mine in when he did the TB. I've gone another 25K miles with it. No problem so far.

They MUST replace the tensioner when they do the belt.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Kenny is absolutely correct (hey Kenny). While the water pump does not need to be replaced, it is pretty cheap and a 5 minute addition to the job so you might as well.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I have heard (read again, heard) that some of their brake items are a little over priced. Someone I know bought a Porsche BBK from them, and found that the calipers they got were used and not in new condition.

The orders that I have placed with them have always been great and I can say that I will order from them again, when the time comes.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Harold said:
...They taped an oil-drain plug to the cabin air filter when they shipped parts to me and the filter got damaged during shipping...
This mirrors my experience with them - great prices and great customer service, but they pack very poorly. If they'd pack a bit more intelligently, they might have less customer service to deal with. They shipped rotors and pads in the same box, not separated. The rotors crushed the pad boxes, chipping the pads in places - I'm sure ECS would have shipped me new ones, but they were good enough and I needed them NOW, so I used them anyway.

And pay attention to Kenny - the tensioner must be replaced.

And whoever said the water pump was only 5 more minutes either hasn't done it or knows a secret - what's the secret, Dub? :wink: But while you have all the stuff off is the best time to do it.

Hee-hee - my ECU isn't chipped, but my pads are!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I've bought over $3,000 worth of parts from them and my only comment would be the same as Rustys. The packing on my Porsche Brake kit was terrible. All wadded up old newspapers and very randomly packed. You'd think they'd spend a bit on bubble wrap or a peanut packing dispensor at least as well as good curugated dividers for all the heavy parts. All the parts survived (towards the bottom of a big box) but the caliper paint was chipped in 2 places that I had to touch up. :(

Also, the CAD plating they use on all of their rotors is NOT a lifetime finish. Mine lasted about 6 weeks at best before rust started showing up on plated parts and pulled and refinished them myself with something from Eastwood that has lasted 1 year.

Scott

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
<style=ebay>Bought two transmission filter+gasket kits from ECS. Good price, fast shipping, everything as described. I'd buy from them again. A+++</style> :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
LCFlying said:
hey everyone,

quick question. it seems that most everyone suggests replacing tensioners and water pump etc. when doing the timing belt (basically everything on the timing belt kit). a shop I'm having it done at says they will "check to see if these things need replacing". shoudl i insist they be replaced?

thanks
Dont forget that roller
:wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.