Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shot jon a pm earlier on the offshot chance they knew where to get special tool 3393, the "test mandrels" that are used for aligning the subframe.

well, he shot back with something i didn't expect.
they now sell them, just because of one small request! if this doesn't make them amazing, i don't know what does.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES2...&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

this is how the tool is used. it comes as a pair, and you plug one in on either side and it lines everything up, for the most part. $22 and i'm pleasantly purchasing it tomorrow. only problem is the ETA (july 27th) for ecs to get them in stock. :lol:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Good stuff. Score another one for ECS.

What about the rumor/speculation that these are only used in the first step of alignment, not for the finishing steps? In other words, couldn't you end up worse off than when you started?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
More than happy to help out where I can, thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately some of these OEM tools can be a bit difficult to get and do have longer lead times than the standard parts, but we can usually get them reasonably quick, sometimes a bit quicker than the ETA on the website.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
OK. Get them in stock because I will be buying a set.

At last year's Snorkfest III I won an ECS $25 door prize gift card. Previously, I ordered from ECS here and there. But since that gift card I started purchasing mostly from ECS. Reason? As in my law practice I do business with people who do business with me. So if ECS was willing to gift to Jay Snoke a few $25 gift cards for Snorkfest door prizes then I was willing to support ECS with my business. Result? Consumer loyalty. Besides, their stock ships very quickly, packaged well, with always an ECS customer service person answering a phone when I need some advice.

ECS is primo. Not always the cheapest but always a guaranteed quality product.

There's a saying in Italian construction that translates roughly to, "You want cheap oats? Then walk behind a horse." You want cheap VW parts? Then go on e-bay and see what you get. How are those Chinese turbos and $12 axles holding up?

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
There's a saying in Italian construction that translates roughly to, "You want cheap oats? Then walk behind a horse." You want cheap VW parts? Then go on e-bay and see what you get. How are those Chinese turbos and $12 axles holding up?
"You can get a good look at a cow by sticking your head up a butcher's ass...." :D

I'll be happy if I never see another "Are these ebay parts any good?" threads ever again. Not that you can't find SOME good parts there, but between ECS and a dozen other reputable places we can do business with, I'm surprised people are willing to accept drop-shipments from Hong Kong over saving 30%.

(I say this as my German Febi control arms are starting to fail after only 3 years...)

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff. Score another one for ECS.

What about the rumor/speculation that these are only used in the first step of alignment, not for the finishing steps? In other words, couldn't you end up worse off than when you started?
well, weather they are or aren't a "finishing tool" between the motor mount bracket, and the frame horn bracket, you're going to get the subframe into more of a precise position, then where it is now... at 1.7 degree camber front right on a H&R OE sport 1/2" drop :lol:

this is also going to be a huge assistance in realigning the subframe to a close position after you lower it down to replace the lower arms. i intend in no way to align the subframe alone. this is to support a replacement of other parts.
i wouldn't say its absolutely needed, but you're going to get far better results when you line everything back up if you're not taking a random pot shot.

(I say this as my German Febi control arms are starting to fail after only 3 years...)
sounds like you didn't set the resting rideheight of that suspension side by unlinking the sway bar and jacking under the balljoint with all ca's loose ;)
excessive strain wears them out faster regardless of brand. :p

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
(I say this as my German Febi control arms(that are made in Taiwan) are starting to fail after only 3 years...)
fixed it for you^^^

but that is not an ECS problem, just how it is these days.
I have had nothing but good experiences with ECS between my A4 and my Passat

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
is febi really made in taiwan? :lol:
yes it says so on my boxes of lower control arms that I am putting in tomorrow.(country of origin)
the arm itself says febi of Germany though..too funny

·
Registered
272 Posts
I can't sing ECS's praise high enough for all they have in stock ready to ship at any given time, reliable fast and accurate, I have ordered parts that weren't what they were represented to be from other sites in the past (shorty dipstick tube doesn't fit AWM motors, whether its listed with the part number for the AWM or not) but never a problem with ECS, building my MK3 with almost exclusively ECS parts now and couldn't be happier. Even trying to convince my brother to check them out for his BMW as well as my friends Audi and MK4

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
OK. Get them in stock because I will be buying a set.

At last year's Snorkfest III I won an ECS $25 door prize gift card. Previously, I ordered from ECS here and there. But since that gift card I started purchasing mostly from ECS. Reason? As in my law practice I do business with people who do business with me. So if ECS was willing to gift to Jay Snoke a few $25 gift cards for Snorkfest door prizes then I was willing to support ECS with my business. Result? Consumer loyalty. Besides, their stock ships very quickly, packaged well, with always an ECS customer service person answering a phone when I need some advice.

ECS is primo. Not always the cheapest but always a guaranteed quality product.

I'm with Mike. There's only a couple of on-line car parts places I deal with, and ECS is one of 'em. I'd bet ECS made more back with the biz they got by that little bit of goodwill they gave to Snorkfest...

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
sounds like you didn't set the resting rideheight of that suspension side by unlinking the sway bar and jacking under the balljoint with all ca's loose ;)
excessive strain wears them out faster regardless of brand. :p
Don't talk to me like I just joined yesterday :D

And no, they weren't Chinese...they were Febi-Bilstein from PAP-parts (a few years ago. $500) with Germany stamped right on them. Is it really legal to do that, but build them elsewhere?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
Don't talk to me like I just joined yesterday :D

And no, they weren't Chinese...they were Febi-Bilstein from PAP-parts (a few years ago. $500) with Germany stamped right on them. Is it really legal to do that, but build them elsewhere?
I'd bet Febi-Bilstein sent the molds to whereever they were manufactured.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I'd bet Febi-Bilstein sent the molds to whereever they were manufactured.
Interesting...could be. But even PAP advertises them as Made in Germany (hence the $529 price).

Luckily--and ironically--I still have a working OE lower control arm from when I did the job before.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,875 Posts
I mean, they've always gotten my order right, have great quality parts, good pricing, fast and reasonable shipping, seem to have every part imaginable.......Yeah, I guess they're OK and all.......

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen my subframe holes aligned properly. (obviously if it needs to be bumped to make the wheels align, that's more important, but who knows if it was ever done right?) I think I'll pick up a pair of these and tell the shop to use them the next time I have UCAs replaced.

·
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deus, they may charge some nasty parts and labor on that. Typically they won't touch the bolts without a bolt package as tghey are all one time fasteners, and then bill you for a sub alignment which may be like e shop hours or so.

I would recomend new bolts. I already bought a set from ecs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts