Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Passat 1.8T

Can I save the data stored in the computers by providing 12v through the cigarette lighter or do I have to provide power through the OBDII port?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Any of the three power outlets will do it. They aren't switched.

But be sure you're really providing 12 volts. Many "memory savers" use a 9 volt battery, which our cars don't get along with.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
There is no reason to save the memory when you disconnect the battery. You just need to run a TBA when it is re-attached.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no reason to save the memory when you disconnect the battery. You just need to run a TBA when it is re-attached.
That would depend on how familiar the person is with Volkswagen, would it not? some would not have the required special tools or knowledge to do a Throttle Body Alignment. That includes me....:)

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
That would depend on how familiar the person is with Volkswagen, would it not? some would not have the required special tools or knowledge to do a Throttle Body Alignment. That includes me....:)
I've never had to do a TBA on my 2000 when disconnecting the battery - or my 2004, for that matter. All I lost was the clock and window auto-up settings.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
On the DBW engines, you don't need any tools.
Open hood, open door. Turn key on to run ,but not start. Wait 2 minutes, start car.

I've had a couple of cars (mostly 1.8T) that needed a TBA after the battery was disconnected (usually for a timing belt change). Maybe 5 out of 100, but I do them all just in case.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
FYI NOTE: The only time it is safe to use a memory saver is when replacing the battery.
NEVER use one while working on the car, it defeats the purpose of disconnecting the battery.
It is never practical to use one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts