Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dropping off family at airport and while idleing my engine just died and would not start again. Dealer said that the ECM shorted and has to be replaced, luckily still under warranty.
What is this? What does it do? Does something cause this?
The dealer said that it was nothing I did.

Thanks all in advance

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
That's your computer for the whole car.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I am thinking this is the same as the Transmission Control Unit. Well serves the same purpose, but it NOT the same unit. Mine went screwy when I got my ECU and Tip Chip upgraded by GIAC, I came to find out that the new Tip Chip wasnt sauldered in correctly and came loose and threw the car into LIMP Mode.

Now is your ECU upgraded?? It could be a faulty saulder joint? I think to access this problem better we need a little more info about your car along with any electrical mods you have done(chip upgrades)

Rich :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
ECM (Engine Control Module) is what we call the ECU.

TCM is the transmission control module.

i'm sure that they'd check to see if the ecu has been chipped before replacing it. just be glad since it'd cost around $1k to replace.

just to give you an idea, the ECU on my old Volvo went bad. absolutely would not start up. ended up being a ground in the ECU to the fuel pump relay. but really, it could be a myriad of things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.