Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new pads and rotors for the rear of my 2000 Variant.

Rather than getting the rotors turned, I was thinking of going with the EBC slotted and drilled ones from Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?autoMake=Volkswagen&autoModel=Passat+GLS+Wagon&autoYear=2000&autoModClar=&make=EBC&model=Sport+Grooved+Rotors

The Greens are stickier it appears, and should not be "tracked". I want longer lasting (looks like reds) but good street performance (greens)...The car will also attend a track day hopefully in the future.

So....what's the community take on these rotors with the reds for the street and a possible track day?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried a set of Green stuff on my Jetta before. While I like the feel and grip of the pad, it warped 3 sets of ATE powerdiscs in 5000 miles. The Jetta (1.8T & VR6) calipers take the same pads as the newer passats and same size rotors so just be aware of this before jumping in.

Maybe different brand of rotors will prevent it, just FYI.

FWIW these work great for auto-x.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There is nothing specific about pads that could cause a rotor to warp faster than another type or brand of pad.

In my experience with Greenstuff pads (3 vehicles), they have been very 'easy' on rotors... especially compared to Mintex RedBox pads. They have very high initial bite (the redbox pads need to heat up a little before full grab is felt) and are hard to make fade. The dust they generate is less than most and is not quite as dark. Since they're made out of Kevlar, the dust that does end up on your wheels is much easier to get off than that of traditional pads.

Improper bedding procedures (or none at all), uneven wheel bolt torque and driving style can all cause rotor warpage... pads can't do it on their own.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The EBC Greenstuff pads are excellent but their rotors are designed very poorly! The slotted design does a great job with gas fading but absolutely nothing with liquid fading. I ran them 1 time on my 2000 4 Motion at Road Atlanta and dumped them before the 2nd day of racing for slotted Brembo's.

Try the EBC's on a set of ATE Powerdiscs.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Swami said:
The EBC Greenstuff pads are excellent but their rotors are designed very poorly! The slotted design does a great job with gas fading but absolutely nothing with liquid fading. I ran them 1 time on my 2000 4 Motion at Road Atlanta and dumped them before the 2nd day of racing for slotted Brembo's.

Try the EBC's on a set of ATE Powerdiscs.. :thumbup:

Hello Club B5,

Its a pleasure to be a member of this awesone forum.

Swami,

Can you please explain the difference between gas and liquid fading? I'm sort of confused. :???:

·
Registered
87 Posts
LIVE4SPD said:
I tried a set of Green stuff on my Jetta before. While I like the feel and grip of the pad, it warped 3 sets of ATE powerdiscs in 5000 miles.
\

Did someone measure that these discs were actually warped, or was there just brake judder and warping was assumed?

I have some Raybestos QS QuietStop ceramic pads on a Volvo that deposit pad material on the discs. I can sandpaper the discs clean, the brakes are smooth for a couple of days, then the judder is back, and it feels just like warped discs. http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Ken

·
Registered
541 Posts
No they weren't measured. But the first two sets were sparkling clean when I chucked them. Only had 1500 miles on the first 2 sets.

I've seen that link before, I'm quite sure this isnt' the case. There wasn't any dark spots or scoring even.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
4Boost said:
Hello Club B5,

Its a pleasure to be a member of this awesone forum.

Swami,

Can you please explain the difference between gas and liquid fading? I'm sort of confused. :???:
It's easy to understand.. The term brake fading is normally attributed to gas fading. It's when heat produced in the braking system causes a layer of gas to prevent initial bite between the brakepads and rotors. Liquid fading is a little different because it's caused by water preventing the brakepads from making a clean initial bite to the rotor. It's a sight to behold to see steam being forced out of your wheels during heavy braking on a wet track.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YetAnother20V said:
Any insights into EBC Green stuff rubbing against plain faced Brembo rotors? Good / Bad / short lived brembos / are you insane / fugly / would never do that / all of these?
No idea.

But for what it's worth, the local audi tuner says good results/wear have been had with ATE powerdiscs and Hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
297 Posts
B5CAR said:
I would stay away from EBC Get hawks
Good advice! NOT! Tell us why...... Besides I have used EBC Green's in ALL my cars (C36, C43, ML55, A4 S-Line, ML350 etc.) and they have been nothing but spectacular! The EBC discs however are a different story....

·
Registered
254 Posts
The other pad I've used that I was very impressed with is the Carbotech Panther compound. Again, this was on my 81 Scirocco FSP autocross car and we were VERY hard on the brakes. I liked these even more than the Green Stuffs but they were more than 3x the price at $180 for the fronts compared to $49 for the EBC.

·
Registered
297 Posts
VaRiX said:
The other pad I've used that I was very impressed with is the Carbotech Panther compound. Again, this was on my 81 Scirocco FSP autocross car and we were VERY hard on the brakes. I liked these even more than the Green Stuffs but they were more than 3x the price at $180 for the fronts compared to $49 for the EBC.
Agreed! The Carbotech's are sensational brake pads...at a price though...Nothing good comes cheap they say....

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yes the Carbotech and Hawk brakepads have an excellent temperature range and aren't harsh on the rotors, but there's one major issue. Both pads lack front-brake-sensors, which are a convenience for Passat owners and a must for W8 owners. Since my car uses 4 pads per caliper like the S4/A6 All-Road, it's a PITA for me to remove the front wheels and visually check the inner front pads. This is why I'll only use pads with brake-sensors.

I like the EBC Greenstuff pads but I'm currently running PBR/Axxis Ultimates and they are the best pads I've used on any of my Passats. I would even consider tracking these pads this season.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed out the stock ATE pads (worn out) on my wife's 96 GLX at 64k. Rotors were in nice shape (minumal grooving, no pulsing). Put on Green Stuff as they were supposed to be the aces. At 70k the rotors were eaten away by the Greens. Not saying I did the right combination, but for the pain and suffering caused, I switched back to ATE with new OEM style Zimmermans. No probs at 112k and counting.

Not saying they are junk, just that my situation was not a poster for EBC. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts