Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old original turbo gave up on our '99 wagon, a few years after I jury-rigged the burnt out wastgate with stainless steel washers, which seemed to work for awhile. So my son ordered one of those ultra cheap K03 copies from Ebay, for all of $110. The turbo arrived in a styrofoam enclosure, with gaskets and new studs, but with no documentation at all. It looked OK, so we went for it and installed the thing last night. The impeller of the old turbo was locked when we removed it, and my wastegate repair was just burned pieces in the cat, which we vacuumed out. Some fittings have to be removed from the old turbo to the new one, but everything fit fine. Here's a picture of the cheap turbo with the plastic shipping plugs still installed, and one photo of my son switching oil and coolant fittings from the old to the new turbos.

Next we'll find out if it works and if so, for how long.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First impression: the turbo works, and without whine or other noise. There was evidence of Moto-tool slight touch-up on turbine and compressor blades, so the thing evidently was balanced. My son had added a boost gauge previously, which confirmed that the OE turbo was completely dead. I've taken the car for one test drive, after changing the plugs, and boost comes on right away, like it used to years ago. The '99 model is 150 HP, so no rocket ship, but it was probably down to 80 HP prior to replacing the turbocharger.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
i bet 80 hp is not a wrong bet on power given the motor's specs.

i'm intrigued about this ebay turbo. i've heard some nasty horror stories, so maybe you MAYBE got a legit one?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,538 Posts
i bet 80 hp is not a wrong bet on power given the motor's specs.

i'm intrigued about this ebay turbo. i've heard some nasty horror stories, so maybe you MAYBE got a legit one?
Consistency is always the big issue with cheap parts, is it not? "Your mileage may vary." Good luck -- we are watching your project with interest, because every one of our turbos has an unwritten expiration date.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
we are watching your project with interest, because every one of our turbos has an unwritten expiration date.
i most certainly am watching it with great interest, just by the fact it blows my mind it hasn't blown up yet.

as for the unwritten expiration, that's an issue with EVERYTHING. especially newer vw ac compressors >.>
didn't hear that from me!

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
I would expect it to last over a year on stock boost and with a normal driver. If driven hard, the weaker metals can deform and then the issues would start.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could be right. My son takes after his mom; drives like a sane, rational person, not at all like me at 21. Between turbo cars, canyon sportbikes, and Cessnas I'm fortunate to even be here.

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
My oldest takes after his mother. Gas pedal is an on/off switch, never coasted in his life. He will have to adjust to the V6 5sp when I have it ready. My youngest is more like me when I am calm, easy going, but likes to speed and can drive all day/night without stopping. Luckily he does not drive like me when I am not calm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts