Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to bid on it, too!

really.

reason: I run a bid sniping program called 'bidwatcher' and it watches ebay and sends in a snipe (a bid that is only seconds before the item expires).

lately, the last few days, bidwatcher (or 'bidBastard', as I refer to it) was failing.

the ebay page that shows the time remaining was changed and the BW program didn't parse its html output properly.

there was a bid I wanted to win today and so I wanted to get BW working again.

since its opensource, I checked the comments on the sourceforge page. they knew there was a change at ebay and they had a fix that worked, even though it wasn't fully tested enough to put into the CVS source tree.

well, I had only about 15 minutes left before this item expired - that I wanted. so I patched the source (as per the recommendation on sourceforge) and found all the buffers that were 1024 bytes and made them much larger, to avoid the overflows.

this fixed it! I'm so happy. the program ran, it got me the item, and I outbid the highest guy by $2 - easily a nice margin and I'm pretty happy about that ;)

so bidwatcher - you saved me today. and more importantly, the lesson is that opensource is TIMELY in its fixes. if this was a commercial program that I had no source for, I'd be left out in the cold and would have to wait days or weeks for a fix. here, I was able to examine the source, see the bug (given hints from the project source page) and get it back running again.

yes, I would have bid on a dollar-priced item. just to see if BW could snipe at the 6 seconds just before the item expires.

...of course, how do I explain my bid history to other ebay's. "he bought a fart? what???"

;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
redb5sdca said:
well I wish I knew more about the codes and all that but oh well at least you got a cool program goin there.
there are windows versions out there, to be sure. I don't think the free BW works on non-unix, though.

I have won SO many auctions due to bid-sniping. most of the power-buyers work this way, so even though it may seem unfair, its within the rules of ebay and you almost HAVE to snipe if you are to compete against all others that do.

and its really not much more than an automated way of 'hitting enter' just seconds before the auction ends. its just that a robot does the enter hitting and not a human.

http://bidwatcher.sourceforge.net/

and the bug that they refer to:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2973&atid=102973

(the one on top, dated 2-25)

for those unix users out there, if you buy via ebay, check this program out. or for the windows people, find what does bid sniping (and hopefully its free code, also).

its cool stuff..

(today I won the auction for a high end IDE raid card, to feed my new 64bit/66mhz pci bus and keep it happy, a 3ware 7506-4lp)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AJChenMPH said:
More disturbingly, how did he get those farts into those bottles without leaking? :shock:
sir, he made NO promises at all as to quality control.

"bid accordingly".

[grin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts