Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Based on how cheap those turbos are I would stay away. If you also go k04 you will need to get a tune and injectors if you want to get the most out of a k04, let alone make any more power over stock.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
if you go cheap, you will regret it. expect to pay somewhere around $550 to $750 for a new one.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Those are not K04's. Those are turbos vaguely shaped like K04's. It's misleading in the extreme for the sellers to even pretend they are the same thing.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
They want $300 for a turbo. I've seen Cold Air Intake tubes priced in that range.... and PEOPLE BUY THEM!

I say if you have the 300 to take a gamble on, give it a shot.

The k03 and k04 look basically the same. It's not till you get into a larger frame turbo that they start to look noticeably larger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Borg Warner K04 goes for about $1100, last I checked. Problem with those is they will only warranty then if it has been professionally installed, and have documentation pricing it.

And yes, you'll need a tune to take full advantage of it.

Sent from the 7th Galaxy.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
check out audizine's forums. buncha kids over there that get bored with upgrades and mods. there are a LOT of parts that circulate.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The only real K04-15s are the ones with a blue and silver metal tag that states "Borg-Warner" plainly on the tag. They have equipment to engrave their name on the tag so it won't look like ***t (as quite a few do). :hmmm:

The blue color on that manufacturer tag in the first link is too dark to be a "bona-fide" Borg-Warner turbocharger, btw.

If they will go to the trouble to take a close up photo for the auction (or otherwise), it's probably legitimate...anything else, assume it's not. (You gotta wonder why they'd be selling so cheaply, but then be unwilling to photograph the obvious proof...)

"If it seems too good to be true, it's probably not true." :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts