Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
2003 GLX 4Motion Wagon, ATQ V6

The old girl needs some new exhaust parts. I called my VW guy, who ruefully said "If I do this job for you, the price is gonna be a number with a comma in it." Ouch. I've had some temporary repair work done by a welder he recommenced, but it's just a matter of time before it needs doing.

Crawling under the car, it looks sound from the cats on back. So, just the central resonator/muffler and the two individual mufflers are what need doing. It looks pretty straightforward as I will be replacing everything--clamps, hangers, etc. So getting it off looks pretty easy because I'll cutting bolts off and probably take it out in sections. Then I'll rebuild it with the new bits--good as new! If I'm mistaken here, please advise!

My question: I've seen some parts on eBay that look like good deals. They are not stainless steel, but I'm not keeping this car for 17 more years, so I'm not sure I need OEM. The parts on eBay are at least 50% less than OEM. Anyone have any feedback on the quality/longevity of such parts? I don't have any specific vendors in mind, but just wondering if I can cheap out here and get another 5 years out of this exhaust system with such parts. Any advice or experience you have is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
The exhaust is 3 parts. The downpipe on each side contains 2 cats and the flex pipe. The back is all 1 part. The downpipes are a pain as you have to lower the rear subframe to get the cats past the trans. I actually have a full system in great shape (I thought the flex was going, but it's actually the 1.8T flex that's going. Problem is that shipping is a killer, even if it's cut up. The back half is still on my car and rigged to the 1.8T downpipe.
As for Ebay parts, they should be okay for a few years, but will probably not last half as long as OEM.
Here are pics of the system, so you know what the mechanic is up against:

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
eBay is not a seller, it's an online flea market of assorted sellers. You will occasionally get top quality parts; you will occasionally get absolute garbage that should be delivered straight to the trash. Most are OK for temporary use.

You won't know until they arrive.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
That has got to be the strangest flower bed I've seen. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts