Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched heavily to no avail. I thought I would be able to do it tonight, but tried and did not succeed so I'll have to give it a go tomorrow. I jacked up both sides of the car and unbolted the bottom shock bolts. Then I tried to pry that puppy out, but it was a PIA. Should I just take the spring out? What's the easiest way to do so? TIA:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
You mean the rubber part under the spring? Take the spring out first.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reading this I realize that I must of had a brain fart, long day. I was thinking of taking a short cut without taking off the wheels and springs. For some reason I thought i could just slip the perch out:crazy: Man, I need a drink.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, just curious..are you guys removing the bottom perch only, top only, or both?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I think some are doing both, depends on what you're trying to accomplish, which I would assume getting a little closer to the ground.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i actually put both of mine (top and bottom) back on. it gave me a bit less noise from the springs rubbing against the body and the ride comfort was a little better. i was worried about my ride height getting too high, but it was nothing that my coilover kit couldn't correct.

i'd suggest removing the springs as well. it's not so much of a pain to get them off, but even with the perches removed, you might want to have a friend around to help push the wheel assembly farther down while you put the springs back in. It's a lot easier then trying to do the job by manuevering and mashing the springs back in by yourself.

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
It's easier to remove if you leave the wheels on and raise the car as high as possible.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's easier to remove if you leave the wheels on and raise the car as high as possible.
ah, using the weight of the wheel to help widen the gap for the springs... wish i thought of this when i was putting the perches back in by myself a few months ago.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Wiat, I just realized you are in Nor cal, welcome brother!

I am in Hollister, pretty sure you know where that is. If you need any help with your car and are willing to drive down here, drop me a PM. I've done everything from control arms, to suspension to turbo installs to detailing. Mikehawk is a cool cat too, hit him up if you need anything, pretty sure his is willing to lend a helping hand.

Also, there is a GTG tomorrow in San Jose, why don't you roll out and meet some of the local guys. Mikehawk and a few others are gonna be there. I can't make it cause I'm getting surgery on my arm.

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
Yep, the extra weight makes it much easier to take out stock springs. Of course, the shorter replacements end up falling out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is a huge thread revival but do people remove the perches to lower the car?
If so, can this be done at the front too? How much closer to the ground can we get?

·
Registered
28,454 Posts
Maybe 1/2", but I expect the front would be pretty noisy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts