Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,880 Posts
It's official: Audi's e-tron is a go.

Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen says an electric vehicle based on the high-performance e-tron concept will debut in the United States in two to three years.

The sleek two-seat sports car was unveiled at the Frankfurt auto show last month, but at the time Audi would not confirm plans to produce it. Now de Nysschen says the car is on its way.

"I expect we will see running examples in the next 24 months," he says.

The e-tron concept is powered by four electric motors, one on each wheel. Audi says the car has a range of 154 miles using a lithium ion battery positioned behind the passenger cabin.

The show car is 168 inches long -- about midway between Audi's TT and R8 sports cars--and 75 inches wide.

The e-tron uses a space frame. All the added-on body parts, including the doors and roof, are made of a fiber-reinforced plastic.

Audi also is developing hybrid vehicles. The first on the U.S. market will be the Q5 crossover, scheduled to debut in the 2011 model year.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
For some reason, I would have been more excited if BMW went ahead with that prototype we saw recently (no, not the porcupine one).

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
For some reason, I would have been more excited if BMW went ahead with that prototype we saw recently (no, not the porcupine one).
YES!!!! that thing is completely original and BADASS!

this is just a regurgitated R8 with electricity. :p take note of the construction... put that in a crash test and see how it does... :nervous:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take note of the construction... put that in a crash test and see how it does... :nervous:
Audi usually does well in the safety dept. Will be interesting to see what they can pull off. I agree I'm usually leery of these lightweight or, like the smart car, tiny vehicles.

·
13,904 Posts
because it sounds as if it wouldn't be that strong.

basically, i've just got it in my mind that more = better :p

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
because it sounds as if it wouldn't be that strong.

basically, i've just got it in my mind that more = better :p
Aha, not necessarily though. I just did a major research project on "No Metal Auto Body" and I was astounded at some of the discoveries in terms of safety and innovation. This should definitely handle well by distributing power perfectly :) not to mention the torque numbers!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Aha, not necessarily though. I just did a major research project on "No Metal Auto Body" and I was astounded at some of the discoveries in terms of safety and innovation. This should definitely handle well by distributing power perfectly :) not to mention the torque numbers!
No drivetrain loss , ftw! :D

·
13,904 Posts
oh thank god... that's much better of a platform than that crappy overdone R8 mockup.

not saying the r8 is crappy, but their revision up atop this thread imho looks kinda fugly. this one here apears more homely, and a lot sportier. similar to the TT, and looks very similar to the nissan 350 and g35

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Well, the Audi is electric and the VW is diesel. I wonder what the Porsche version of this car will be powered by?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts