Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1.8t (AEB) B5 with Upsolute chip,K&N stck airbox fit in filter, N75j, Forge DV and Remus rearsilencer. I dynoed 157whp and 270nm wtq. Are those good or bad numbers and how can i convert those as crank numbers.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Divide your numbers by the percentage of power that you are estimating you got to the wheels. i.e. if you are assuming (really just an educated guess) a 15% drivetrain loss then 85% got to the wheels. 157/.85=184.7 flywheel horsepower. Upsolute claims 192hp for the stock 150hp passats so it seems a little off. Assuming a 20% loss would give you 157/.8=196. Thats the whole problem with trying to calculate flywheel power from whp - its a guess at best.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well, with a Tip you have around a 20% loss, with a manual it's less because of the more simplified tranny. Were you using 93 octane or higher? Did you have fans blowing air into the engine? Maybe it wasn't the right temperature in the Dyno 'room'. All of those can contribute to a loss in probably up to 5-10 HP. :nervous:

I'd like to do a before and after Dyno on my W8. Before (stock), After (Wett chip, Sport Tip mode, BMC air filter, heatsheild, etc.). Just be happy you got to do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well, with a Tip you have around a 20% loss between flywheel and the wheels, with a manual it's less because of the more simplified tranny. Were you using 93 octane or higher? Did you have fans blowing air into the engine? Maybe it wasn't the right temperature in the Dyno 'room'. All of those can contribute to a loss in probably up to 5-10 HP. :nervous:

I'd like to do a before and after Dyno on my W8. Before (stock), After (Wett chip, Sport Tip mode, BMC air filter, heatsheild, etc.). Just be happy you got to do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
IIRC, with my Neuspeed P-chip (.8 bar or 12psi max) I hit 151whp; don't recall the torque.
With my GIAC 1.1 bar ECU (16psi) I hit 177whp and 181ft-lbs. torque!
On my K/E-04 w/GIAC PC16-03A chip, I went down to about 165whp but 211ft-lbs. of torque.
I have an AEB 1.8T as well (04/98 build).

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Do you have a 5 spd or a tip? Do you have aftermarket wheels when you were doing the dyno run? What was ambient air temperature? Did you have a fan in front of your car when the car was on the dyno?

All these factors can affect your dyno numbers.

I had a 2001.5 1.8t with the wett 1.1 bar chip, brullen turbo back exhaust, TTDV, K&N, and heavy ass 18" wheels when I did a dyno pull, and I generated about the same numbers as you.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Every Dyno is different.....cant compare very well between them. Rough ballpark is about all you can do.....

Good article in C&D a month or two ago on that very subject....

Herman....that sucks going down in HP (same dyno? After correction figures?) with your K04/Giac combo vs the K03/Giac. I would expect HP as well as Tq to increase with the supposed improved impeller flow. You getting enough fuel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 225/45-17 wheels. Could it be that i have more than 15% loss because of those wheels. I was using 98 octane fuel, one fan was blowin front of the car but not straight to cooler or intake and temperature wer about 68 F.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
tvk said:
I have 225/45-17 wheels. Could it be that i have more than 15% loss because of those wheels. I was using 98 octane fuel, one fan was blowin front of the car but not straight to cooler or intake and temperature wer about 68 F.
Yes, you could be losing more than 15%. I only used 15% for an example of how to do the math. 20% is probably more accurate (or perhaps 18 or 19%). Drive train loss varies from car model to car model. And I believe heavier wheels will cause more loss.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
V-MANN said:
tvk said:
Yes, you could be losing more than 15%. I only used 15% for an example of how to do the math. 20% is probably more accurate (or perhaps 18 or 19%). Drive train loss varies from car model to car model. And I believe heavier wheels will cause more loss.
larger wheels will cause more loss too, even if the weight is the same.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Why? The overall circuference is the same if you did the +1/+2/+3 etc right. Nothing is bigger that would impact....except weight.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tips lose more like 25% to drive line according to a GIAC tuner I was working with.

some even estimate a shade higher...

tranverse tip guys use 22% as a rating and the fact that ours are longitudal accounts for the increase.

slush box.... :)

I have one........ ;)

TJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
JETninja said:

Why? The overall circuference is the same if you did the +1/+2/+3 etc right. Nothing is bigger that would impact....except weight.
I believe the reason for this is that, even with the same overall weight and circumferance, a larger wheel shifts more weight towards the outer edge of the wheel, increasing the rotational inertia.

This is a "think", not a "know".

George

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I gave that a thought as I wrote the above post...but think about it....Alloy is not much heavier then the belted rubber of our tires. Also, depending on the wheel...some are much lighter then others out to the edges. I can see differences due to wheels, just not a general rule that larger ones will hurt you numbers. I'm looking at some 17" Flik TDR's....14.7 lbs each. Some peeps run 17's that are over 20lbs. You'll see a difference no doubt.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.