Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, all i have is apr 91 and a tt cat back (on a 98 aeb)
my peak horsepower was 166, peak torque was 217
do these numbers sound right to you guys? I wasnt dissapointed but I had hoped for a little for hp
also, the car had been driven for about an hour immediatly before the run(I had to, long story) , so it was hot.

PS-i got third place in mild class if any of you were there to see.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Man. With no cool down time your hurt your numbers more than you know. The good news is that you got an acurate representation of your car's real-world performance, but not it's peak powah.

Since the only cool down time was when your car got strapped to the machine, you shorted yourself about 8WHP and 10 or so torque.

How was the temp in the bay? Was there a good fan going? What brand Dyno did you run on? Are those STD or SAE numbers? What gear did you pull in? Do you have a manual or tip?

answer those questions, and I'll weave you a tapestry of excuses. *my specialty* :wink:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
pfong said:
As I posted in another thread Popular science did a dyno of the apr chip in a '99. http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,688972,00.html

Their numbers are much lower than yours.
Do you have tiptronic or manual?

I've got a 2002 tiptronic and really want to cut through the bogus marketing claims before deciding on a chip.
you should get 205+ crank hp on your model year of car. that car used in the pop-science article has issues of some kind, it should be making more boost in upper rpms.

on your car you can use vagcom to log the boost. The dbw chips are also more controlled in boost delivery as there is a feedback sensor.

a 150 hp TIP car should put down at least 120 WHP stock, there is about 20% drivetrain loss. 5 speeds have about 15% loss so they typically put down at least 128 WHP.

here is a sample (150HP DBW TIP FWD)

150 HP DBC 5-M FWD

150 HP A4 5-M quattro stock-chipped-big turbo

170 hp cars like yours should dyno at 136 WHP tip, 145 WHP 5-speed.

170 hp 4-motion manuals typically dyno in the mid 130's WHP, as they also have ~20% loss.

chipped 5-speed FWD cars typically dyno 165-175 WHP depending on age....this is 195-205 crank HP.

·
Registered
112 Posts
scotty_passat said:
a 150 hp TIP car should put down at least 120 WHP stock, there is about 20% drivetrain loss. 5 speeds have about 15% loss so they typically put down at least 128 WHP.
Assuming it was a tip car, it looks like their stock HP isn't too far off. 118.5 is 79% of 150. The chipped numbers are way off though. And that makes me somewhat suspicious of the claimed HP gain.
Maybe I'm just cynical.

I'm no expert when it comes to reading dyno plots. So maybe I'm missing something. Also, at the top of the plots it says crank HP and crank torque. If they are measuring without driveline loss, something is really wrong.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
omg scotty, what's wrong w/ those dyno plots... :nervous: looks like an earthquake hit it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry i didnt pay more attention to this thread after i posted it,
my car is a fwd 5 spd for those who are still interested
it was on a dynojet
it was about 80 degrees (i did it outside at h20)
did the pull in 4th gear
they had a fan but it was very small and placed far away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.