Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNM4iezebK0

Thought a few of you who aren't familar with my S4 build thread, might be curious to see a little vid from some dyno runs we did today. All in all, a great day. Both myself and my friend were extremely happy and impressed with the results, and we've spent a long time tweaking and getting things right.

We are doing these dyno runs as a project to find exactly how much power (if any) is gained by going from 2.5" downpipes to wide mouth 3" downpipes. We both are not going to make any adjustments until the next dyno in a couple weeks.

I managed to put down 304whp and 314ft/lbs of torque. What was most impressive, is that this is @ 15psi since I am getting some boost leak and boost fluctuation and some odd stuff going on with my tune. Car is Stage 2+, and for those who aren't aware of the S4 designations, this means it has an aggressive chip, downpipes, exhaust, and some other bolt on goodies. Our methanol injection played a huge role in our good numbers, as we did some pulls without the meth and for my buddy, it was worth a 35whp difference on his larger turbos.

He is full Stage 3 with K04s, 2.5" downpipes, and a dual 2.25" exhaust. He put down an extremely impressive 408whp and 416ft/lbs of torque. Again, for those not familiar with the S4, 400whp is very difficult to berak with K04's. He was running 23psi. We've seen a lot of other S4's dyno on this dyno, and a good running car without meth generally puts down about 350whp.

So... both of us beat our estimates by over 25whp, so needless to say, we are happy. After my next dyno in a couple weeks, I am doing full Stage 3 and am positive i can make it into the 400whp range, since I have some extra goodies like ported exhaust manifolds, 4" exhaust, etc...

Too bad my camera doesn't have a great mic; the sound of my car literally was overcoming the mic. We had to cover our ears.

Only got one dyno graph right now, this one was a bit lower then my best run

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice man those are some awesome numbers :bowdown::thumbup:
Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised as we estimated around 275-285 since things weren't running great. Coming from a B5 Passat, I am honestly perfectly happy with that power (although torque should be higher). On the track, the last time I am lacking is power.

those r really good numbers for a k03. post the numbers when you get the stage 3 on. nice work
Thanks! Was extra nice considering I've been going into limp on most pulls (only happened once today). The big issue is that my file is unknown, and incredibly aggressive. Normally Im spiking 19psi and settling 17psi (Im on my second set of K03's mind you), but these days something is way off. Been diagnosing it for awhile but I am running 4.61 FATS times and dynoing over 300whp, so I guess I should just stop complaining!!!

I've got an RS6 turbo swap for a friend in February, and then the Stage 3 goodies go on my car at the end of Feb or beginning of March. Will be my 3rd engine pull on my own car since I bought it in May (with blown turbos).

For reference, here is the dyno from my buddy from today as well. Most impressive for K04's, but he is pretty much getting to or past max efficiency. Interesting enough, I imagine since its run on a solo MBC (no N75), he had the EXACT same boost from the meth runs and no meth runs; just 35 less horsepower.

My setup will be very similar, either with the same tune or a custom 034Motorsport tune. Except I'll be running larger fuel injectors, a more aggressive file, ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, everything (downpipes, inlet pipes, oulet pipes) ti heat wrapped. I also have larger inlet pipes and a 4" exhaust instead of a dual 2.25". Adding a cone filter on top of that (which seems to do about 15 g/s more). So, I am going to aim a little higher and go for 415whp on 91 octane, but at 22psi.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time for the 2nd dyno day to see if the 3" downpipes actually improve anything. Will post numbers tonight.

Note: moving to the far thicker gauge 3" downpipes (compared to my paper thin 2.5" DP's) has quieted down the exhaust considerably. Thought it would get louder.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gained about 10 ft-lbs of torque across the powerband, a bit at peak, and gained 5whp across the band and at peak, and kept more hp towards redline.

Quite happy considering ambient temp was more then 15 degrees higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.