Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a continous problem with my B5 for some time now :/

At first, all it would do was not turn on after I drived for a while and turned the engine off, after trying to turn it back on I would have a hard time but now I changed the Cooling Sensor as advised by a good member here and that seemed to stop for a while.. Now my problem is a bit worse, the car will suddenly die without warning..

I did try to troubleshoot some stuff, the battery seems to be fine, I did notice that in the ECU box on the drivers side under the hood it has 2 relays and 1 big fuse. The back fuse is named 30.. I have noticed 3 times the car would not turn on for nothing, after I removed that fuse, smacked it a bit and put it back in it would turn on..

Anybody have any idea what this fuse is for and would it help if I replaced it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak mine had that problem... the hose from the airbox wasnt all the way on and it would die randomly, all the while not tossing error codes.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Oh I thought you were going to tell us about some crazy new law they came up with for making dying while driving illegal. With a heavy fine, mandatory health classes, and possible jail time - IF you survive of course. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I thought you were going to tell us about some crazy new law they came up with for making dying while driving illegal. With a heavy fine, mandatory health classes, and possible jail time - IF you survive of course. ;)
Hahaha, good one..

Naw, I'll try to take a picture of the relay I'm talking about.. See I'd understand it being a leak, but I doubt it.. I've messed around so much with the whole vacuum system I doubt I put something wrong or loose.

Well eitherway, I'd still think it could be a possibility if it wasn't for the fact that everytime it wouldn't wana start, all I have to do to make it start is open up the ECU box on under the hood, remove the last relay towards the windshield, it's labled 30.. Smack it against something lightly, stick it back in and turn the key.. It'll start all the time, which makes me think it's got something to do with that relay.. Anybody have any idea what that relay is for?

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,780 Posts
Check your car's ECU for stored diagnostic trouble codes. It could be as simple as a vacuum leak, or something a bit more devious like the crank angle sensor. Hard to go on with the given info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was advised by a veteran member here, steve from chicago, that the fuel pump relay was underneath the dashboard, not on the ECU BOX.. But I'm positive it has to be that relay because I've taken it out and smacked it a bit and it turns on everytime.. I can try to turn it on with 20 cranks and it will not turn on, until I touch that relay.. It's on the ECU BOX under the hood, near the windshield.. It's labled 30 and it's the last relay towards the windshield.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you want to constantly "slap" your passat everyday and be charged with Passat abuse I would spend a few clams and replace that relay......cant be too much doe rae me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts