Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the NAVTEQ website and looks like there is a new DVD (series 4?)
Anyone get it yet?

Will the maps look the same as the old one but with new roads?

No new enhancements? i.e color and what not

Mine came with 3B, the new 4B worth it?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Just picked up the new Navigation DVD and it's the same layout with a few slight changes. I noticed that the 3B map DVD didn't show many of the sidestreets in Washington, D.C. but now they are labeled. I've also noticed that it does a better job of mapping routes into D.C. from newly developed areas in P.G. County.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I snagged mine from NAVTEQ for $210 w/shipping. I ordered a replacement DVD when my girlfriend purchased upgraded CD's for her 2004 A4 Cabrio. Her NAV CD changer was damaged when a company was replacing her convertible top. What's sad is that the dealerships have them available at a significant markup. My local VW dealership was charging $309.00 for the DVD. Heck, Audi was charging $400 for the set of 10 discs for my girl's car.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
O.K. After owning the 4B Navigation Update DVD for about a month, I wanted to detail my observations in the DC Metro Area.

Honestly, the 4B update is a must have! The first thing I noticed is that calculating routes is much faster with the newer DVD due to the flash-programming change. Using the DC/Metro as an example, the 3B DVD did a horrible job of recalculating routes if the driver made a wrong turn or was forced to detour. I can't count the number of times when I took a logical route and the NAV system kept wanting me to make U-Turns to get back on the pre-determined route. During Rush Hour some streets in Downtown DC turn into 1 Way Streets, and the 3B DVD took some time to adjust to changes in my route.

Making the same trip with my 4B DVD was a significantly better experience! The NAV system quickly made adjustments when I made detours and placed me back on logical routes to my destination. I also like the fact that the 4B DVD listed more of the sidestreets at lower scales and was significantly faster than the 3B DVD when changing from DC to Maryland, and or Virginia.

I have to highly recommend buying this update!

Peace and Blessings,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 6 of 6 Posts