Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used "DVD Decoder" to rip some titles onto tha hard drive and low and behold the entire folder for a single title is like 7gig!!

How do you burn a copy when a DVD is only 4.?gig?? :weirdo:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You have one of 2 options...you can either
a) shrink the rip so that is less than 4.7 gigs
b) split the rip into 2 4.7 gig dvds

If you go with route a, you'll lose some video quality. I use a program called DVDShrink to do this...you can find references to it on dvdrhelp.com

If you want to go with route b (what I usually do most of the time), I use a program called dvdfab. It splits the rip into 2 separate dvds while retaining all of the menus on both dvds. Help this helps...

·
Registered
124 Posts
dvd shrink

use dvd shrink www.dvdshrink.org (or something like that)

also, find a complete guide for it on doom9.org

netflix + dvdshrink = dvd goodness

(for settings, i usually compress everything but the movie as much as possible, and get rid of any extra language audio, ie, french 5.1, etc)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. I was checking out DVD shrink as you responded...

Dual layer? Not sure what that is... I'm just experimenting with rented DVD's and my new plexstor drive.

Will the copied DVD be the same quality as the original with DVD shrink or are you loosing some data along the way??

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
upshot said:
Ok.. I was checking out DVD shrink as you responded...

Dual layer? Not sure what that is... I'm just experimenting with rented DVD's and my new plexstor drive.

Will the copied DVD be the same quality as the original with DVD shrink or are you loosing some data along the way??
Unless you can get the dvd down to 4.7 gigs by taking out the extra languages, subtitles, extra features you dont need, you will get some quality loss if you find yourself having to shrink the actual movie itself.

Thats why I use the other program to split the movie into 2 dvds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
pacent
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing