Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does the other end of the diverter valve's vacuum hose attach?That is to say, can you describe where in the engine I should look for and how to identify the other end of this vacuum hose? Does the other end require a small clamp like the clamp used to attach the hose to the DV? Engine is the AWM in a 2003 with the 5 speed manual tranny.

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That Vaccum hose goes up to around the Air Box, over across the front of the engine (Its hidden underneath another hose), under the intake manifold and connects to some sort of distrubution block under the intake manifold. Zip Ties work just find in securing them.

Becareful not to snap off the connectors the hose slides over though.

HTH's
Ryan

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
rcassidy said:
That Vaccum hose goes up to around the Air Box, over across the front of the engine (Its hidden underneath another hose), under the intake manifold and connects to some sort of distrubution block under the intake manifold.
on my '00 1.8t, it was right next to the oil dipstick on the underside of the manifold.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Exactly.... The distribution block is under the manifold right next to where the dipstip passes through the runners.

Good point! thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
it's a pita to get that thing connected on there. Anybody know how to move the dipstick holder. It would have made my life easier this weekend.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
if im remembering correctly, mine stuck right int the intake manifold on the side clostest to you. opposite the FPR hose nipple.
That's for the AEB, AUG engines. The 2003 has an AWM with lots of extra goodies under the intake manifold... this hose connects to one of those.

All of the vac lines should be replaced sooner or later, anyway. Just do one at a time, pull off one end, tape the new hose to the free end of the old hose, and pull it through... works like a charm. (You may have to undo a zip tie or two for the long vac line to the DV).

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
it's a pita to get that thing connected on there. Anybody know how to move the dipstick holder. It would have made my life easier this weekend.
Unscrew the csrews holding down the coolant reservior & unclip the wiring harness from underneath. The reservior can be flipped uver and out of the way. Do not undo the coolant lines, themselves.

Also, you can unso the hose clamp on the "snorkel" to the throttle body and pull that hose out of the way.

That should give you plenty of room to work.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Yeah, I did all that put still couldn't get my tool in their to pinch the crimp clamp. I ended up using a zip tie. If the dipstick wasn't in the way I could have crimped it through the opening in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
pete1 said:
IDriveB5 said:
if im remembering correctly, mine stuck right int the intake manifold on the side clostest to you. opposite the FPR hose nipple.
That's for the AEB, AUG engines. The 2003 has an AWM with lots of extra goodies under the intake manifold... this hose connects to one of those.

All of the vac lines should be replaced sooner or later, anyway. Just do one at a time, pull off one end, tape the new hose to the free end of the old hose, and pull it through... works like a charm. (You may have to undo a zip tie or two for the long vac line to the DV).
ahh good to know. now i have to know about two engine AEB and AWM
AEB <-- mine AWM <-- mommy's

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Always check the stamp on the engine lifting bolt... pop off the black plastic engine cover to see it clearly. AWM is for all B5.5's, and some of the late-model B5's too. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts