Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have two questions and was hoping someone here might be able to help. I did a search here & in the information base section, but came up with little.

1) Is the diverter valve a DIY job, or is that something best left to a mechanic.

2) I have an 03 1.8 which I purchased back in late 02 & was wondering what spark plugs I should replace the ones I have now with. Also, can anyone tell me what the torque settings & proper gap setting would be?

Any help that is provided would be most welcome & have a great weekend.

Cheers,
CB

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
1. Very do it yourself. You will need to cut the old one time clamps off, so when you get your new DV, get three hose clamps(two large1.5 inch and on small for the vaccuum hose).

Tools need.
flat screwdrive
diagonal/wire cutters(to cut clamps)
2 10mm wrenches

Steps.
1. Remove belly pan, along the front two 10mm bolts on each side, one 10mm nut inthe middle, three quarter turn fastners in the rear(flat screwdriver for these) and two 10mm nut/bolts in each fender well. Remove the front three first so you can access the fender ones. You may need to raise the vehicle to get the belly pan off.

2. removing old DV. it is located on the passengers side, you should see it if you poke around, use new one for reference. Remove cut the two larger onetime clips off. I just cut the tip of the vaccumm hose(small line) off.

3. Replace Dv with new on, make sure you have the right oreintation(sp) and tighten clamps.

4. replace belly pan.

If you need pics I can get some for you this afternoon maybe.

2. Not sure one the plugs, the car should tell you under the hood what gap you need, and torque setting is 22ft-lbs

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
torque spec on plugs is 22 ft-lb (30Nm) all engine codes (1.8T, 2.8, 4.0)
Plug p/n & gap - check for 3 alpha engine code.
AEB uses F7LTCR 0.90 to 1.10mm (0.035 to 0.043 in)
ATW, AUG, AWM use PFR6Q 0.80mm maximum (0.031 in)
Code is on engine, should be in owners manual (if you have it), and also on a sticker in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks everyone! Really, this will go a long way. BTW, I already have the engine code, I was unaware that it would determine what type of plug gap I would need. Happy Thanksgiving people.

Cheers,
CB

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dv Pics

Okay so I'm new to the sence. I have b5.5 passat wagon 1.8t, tip, I have a few questions on the dv? Where is the dv located? I thought it was the black puck looking thing on the back passanger side of the engine cover with two tubes coming out of it. can some one post a pic of there stock dv. Maybe some pics on the install process? Thanks it would help a bunch... LIke I said before I'm a noobie...:lol:

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Okay so I'm new to the sence. I have b5.5 passat wagon 1.8t, tip, I have a few questions on the dv? Where is the dv located? I thought it was the black puck looking thing on the back passanger side of the engine cover with two tubes coming out of it. can some one post a pic of there stock dv. Maybe some pics on the install process? Thanks it would help a bunch... LIke I said before I'm a noobie...:lol:
You could just click on the link above that has directions and pics.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
If you go with the OEM plugs made by NGK (PFR6Q), they re platinum tipped so adjusting the gap will damage the plating, however, mine came pre gapped.

I just changed them yesterday, it was easy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
torque spec on plugs is 22 ft-lb (30Nm) all engine codes (1.8T, 2.8, 4.0)
Plug p/n & gap - check for 3 alpha engine code.
AEB uses F7LTCR 0.90 to 1.10mm (0.035 to 0.043 in)
ATW, AUG, AWM use PFR6Q 0.80mm maximum (0.031 in)
Code is on engine, should be in owners manual (if you have it), and also on a sticker in the spare tire well.
Thanks for this info, I also found it helpful. My Xmas present to my Passat are some PFR6Qs. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts